I'm growing Chia plants in the corners of the crabitat !

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Chia plants It's very good for the crabitat sustaining with the humidity, heat and soaking up moisture, even oxygenating the air as well. Good for the crabs to eat too. I think it's soo pretty in the crabitat to grow live plants on the substrate.

Topic author
finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Any pointers on how to get it to grow? I have tried sprinkling the stuff on the sub and get nothing. My spray that I use is diluted salt water to prevent mold. Could that be preventing chia from growing, too? I would love for them to have a little "lawn!"
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

HermitCrabby_LHC

Post by HermitCrabby_LHC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:20 pm

So its doing good? And chia is cheap. Might try that.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:18 pm

@finalftansyxii, Yes that is your problem. Salt in general will burn plant roots. Typically after winter grass will be dead along roadsides and will take a couple weeks later to reestablish because of salt used on the roads to keep the ice and snow melted. You may have to get a small shallow container and put some EE and worm castings in and hydrate with fresh water and then throw your seeds on. Cover up with plastic wrap and rubber band. Poke a few holes for ventilation, but leave enough to keep humid. Set in window sill. you should get plants in about two weeks. Then just pop them in the tank. I did this a few times. Unfortunately every time I did it the crabs destroyed and ate every plant. :/Where do you get chia seed? I have wanted to grow it, but I do not know where to find it.

Topic author
finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:47 pm

You can buy it in bulk at Whole Foods or as a supplement I actually found it in GNC! Here in CA no snow so no salt on the roads but trendy health fads like chia seeds abound...
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:43 am

Humidity in the crabitat is about between 85 and 90 and my substrate gets really wet by the pools, so it sustains the chia growth, + heat is a bit above 80. My substrate is plentiful with the crab poo decomposition and it's a food to the plant as well .. Dylan I got my chia seeds from HCP , but don't have them no more . I get them from my local health store .

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:12 am

I can only think of one health store that would have them. I don't know if GNC will have them or not....

Keg

Post by Keg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 am

@Tetra4CClyPeatusI have an occaisional stalk by accident and the crabs trample them. How long have you had the chia growing and is it holding up?