Green sand

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Green sand

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Where does everyone buy their green sand? I have bought small baggies with my dried food, but would like to have a larger supply so I can leave a dish of it in the tank for the crabs to munch on. I tried a couple of pet stores in my nearest city, but they didn't have any. I will be in the US next week, so could get some shipped from Amazon - but it only comes in 7 1/2 pound bags. Is that the kind of bulk I would find at a pet store in the US? Or is there somewhere else you buy from in quantities bigger than a small baggie but smaller than 7.5 pounds?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Green sand

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:37 pm

I’ve always wanted to get a bigger bag, also. Just to have it instead of buying the small bags, it’s cheap enough but still to have a lifetime supply. Lol! This is the smallest I’ve found it, 5 lbs. Or buy a big bag with someone and split it, you’d still have a lifetime supply.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2XTLN2/re ... eEb2EJNZSV

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Green sand

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Well, that's smaller than what I had found! I think I will buy it. I do know there is someone in the closest city who has hermit crabs, maybe I will message her and see if she wants to split it. I will order that and a box of Instant Ocean from Amazon, which will qualify me for free shipping! Thanks for the reply!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Green sand

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:58 pm

No problem at all, I’m happy to help! I wasn’t sure if it was much help. I have my bestie, also a member here, we try to buy the bigger bags of stuff and split it. It helps to not have to buy the tiny little bags of stuff that will keep longer. Especially something like green sand that we like to keep out at all times.
Edit to add: the 50lb bag of Instant Ocean was under $15. on Amazon last time I bought it. I just checked it’s $13.25 right now. I was buying the little 10gallon box at the pet store and it was only a few dollars more for the 50lb bag on Amazon.

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:25 pm

I bought the little 10 gallon box. Up til now, I have only bought small baggies of it when I ordered food. I think the 10 gallon box will last me a very long time! LOL!

Harry Wang

Post by Harry Wang » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:59 am

curlysister wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:32 pm
Where does everyone buy their green sand? I have bought small baggies with my dried food, but would like to have a larger supply so I can leave a dish of it in the tank for the crabs to munch on. I tried a couple of pet stores in my nearest city, but they didn't have any. I will be in the US next week, so could get some shipped from Amazon - but it only comes in 7 1/2 pound bags. Is that the kind of bulk I would find at a pet store in the US? Or is there somewhere else you buy from in quantities bigger than a small baggie but smaller than 7.5 pounds?
I got a decent sized XL bag from Hermies Kitchen. Probably about 2lbs ish for less than $7.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:49 am

I buy a medium 2" x 3" baggie from Canadian Chubby Crabs. I already have a huge bag of Timothy hay, and didn't want a tub of extra sand as well.. So I end up just buying a baggie for 2.50.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Topic author
curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:24 am

I got a little baggie from Canadian Chubby Crab in the past - it was the first time I had fed green sand, and the baggie didn't last too long because they liked it so much! LOL!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:28 am

Oh! I love her foods! I’ve ordered there a few times, I’ve got so many of her mixes. My violas and Es love the fish mixes and the kangaroo ribs and the PPs love the different fruit mixes. It’s really not bad for shipping from Canada to the US. I love Canadian Chubby crab, she is really such a great person.