Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!
Locked
User avatar

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:42 am

Hey everyone,i just got back from the pet shop in singapore,where i bought one of my ruggies,I want to hear all your opinions/thoughts about it,i have a picture of the crab i bought from there and a few pics of the "crabitat" in the pet store

Image
Image️the crab i bought!
And now for the pet store:
Image

Image

I apologise if the pics of the pet shop are blurry,i had to take those while the shop keeper wasn't looking,The price of the crabs are a little insane,(medium:$25,large:$35)and there is a sign that says no touching the crabs,they didn't refill both salt and water bowls!Image and they fed the crabs with the same kind of crab food everyday!Image,They would sprinkle the food around the sand,this is the commercial food they use Image

Image

I appreciate them adding a little hide,an inch of sand and not using painted shellImage!
Tell me your opinions of this pet store!Image

User avatar

MuseCrazy
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:58 am

The food isn't the worst so that's not too bad. The tank can't be humid all open like that. Looks like a decent amount of sand, it's actually better than most petcos/petsmarts here in the states.

User avatar

YYWW
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:25 am

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm

The sand looks very dry. Like just dry sand. Can you tell if the sand is calcium sand? The crabs' gills might be dried out from dry air, so unless they are sold shortly after harvesting, i would expect them to have gill damage to a possibly terminal degree. The food doesn't look that bad.


Crabbers unite!!!

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9825
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Is the pet store climate controlled? What is the humidity and temperature like? We have crabbers in the Philippines who don't have to give any thought to heat or humidity because they're already living where the crabs are native. If the hermits are found in Singapore and you're living where the conditions are similar to the beaches where they live, and there is no air conditioning used that would affect temperature or the moisture in the air, then it would be fine for them to be like that.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

User avatar

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:17 pm

YYWW wrote:The sand looks very dry. Like just dry sand. Can you tell if the sand is calcium sand? The crabs' gills might be dried out from dry air, so unless they are sold shortly after harvesting, i would expect them to have gill damage to a possibly terminal degree. The food doesn't look that bad.
Your right,The sand was quite dry,however the sand isn't calci sand,it looks like normal sand to me,they are sold in the shopping mall so i guess the high humidity disapears...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 pm

wodesorel wrote:Is the pet store climate controlled? What is the humidity and temperature like? We have crabbers in the Philippines who don't have to give any thought to heat or humidity because they're already living where the crabs are native. If the hermits are found in Singapore and you're living where the conditions are similar to the beaches where they live, and there is no air conditioning used that would affect temperature or the moisture in the air, then it would be fine for them to be like that.
The pet shop is in an air conditioned mall,I originally bought my crabs from another shop that was open aired because singapore is 27-32c all year round and we are always 85% humidity cause we are near the equator,I like the open aired pet shop is better(where is got my first 2 ruggies)as it's substrate is moist and the staff are much more friendly.The staff there know much more about hermit crabs too,their the ones that told me to join this forum.but i only bought the crab that was at the air conditioned pet shop cause it was near my house,the other pet shop is very far....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4634
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:31 pm

If anything, I say thats a rather good tank for a pet store.
Ok, before all you you think I have gone mad, let me explain myself.
The crabs that are in there only wears natural shells and has more natural shells to offer. I never really seen a store that doesn't have at least 10 crabs without painted shells. But maybe the painted shell fad isn't really "popular" in Singapore? If there was water in the water dishes, they would make the ideal water dish as they look pretty deep.
It is very common for a pet store to provide only commercial food, after all thats what they would stock and they can use it for a discount instead of paying money to get natural foods. While looking at the ingredients, I didn't really observe anything alarming and think that would be a pretty good food mix to feed your crabbies if you going away on holiday - for example.
The sand base is deeper than most pet store i ever seen! This is great for the hermies that want to dig down a bit and just chill without them moulting in the tank - as it looks to me that they could dig down but still not far enough where they would be lost forever.
Personally, I think all they really need to work on is getting the heat and humidity up to par - as Crabbzymagnus said it is a shopping centre so it probably would be air conditioned - and actually getting some water into those water bowls. :evil:
It is certainly better than most shops - ok, I lied all - in Melbourne... Well, that I been to.
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:If anything, I say thats a rather good tank for a pet store.
Ok, before all you you think I have gone mad, let me explain myself.
The crabs that are in there only wears natural shells and has more natural shells to offer. I never really seen a store that doesn't have at least 10 crabs without painted shells. But maybe the painted shell fad isn't really "popular" in Singapore? If there was water in the water dishes, they would make the ideal water dish as they look pretty deep.
It is very common for a pet store to provide only commercial food, after all thats what they would stock and they can use it for a discount instead of paying money to get natural foods. While looking at the ingredients, I didn't really observe anything alarming and think that would be a pretty good food mix to feed your crabbies if you going away on holiday - for example.
The sand base is deeper than most pet store i ever seen! This is great for the hermies that want to dig down a bit and just chill without them moulting in the tank - as it looks to me that they could dig down but still not far enough where they would be lost forever.
Personally, I think all they really need to work on is getting the heat and humidity up to par - as Crabbzymagnus said it is a shopping centre so it probably would be air conditioned - and actually getting some water into those water bowls. :evil:
It is certainly better than most shops - ok, I lied all - in Melbourne... Well, that I been to.
Well your right in all the hermit crab stores i'v visited they all didn't have painted shells!I'v only visited 3 so far since there aren't many shops in singapore that sell hermit crabs..Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: MI
Contact:

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Knibitz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 pm

pretty sure that food is meant for marine crabs, not our land dwelling babies, but as others have said, I don't see it as anything awful.
If they would get water in the dishes I'd give this a silver star. They'd get gold if they had gauges that could prove good humidity and temp or a lid+gauges. but it's much better than A LOT of what I see in the US.
7 PPs: Vinny, Thomas, Tink, Theo, Thumbelina, Fudge, and Midge
1 E: Noel

User avatar

stevenc
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 am

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by stevenc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:44 am

In Singapore, this is one of the best setups I have seen so far.
I have seen shops put all the crabs in a small pail without sand and with about half inch of water

Image[/URL]

User avatar

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:17 am

stevenc wrote:In Singapore, this is one of the best setups I have seen so far.
I have seen shops put all the crabs in a small pail without sand and with about half inch of water

Image[/URL]
Wow,Where is that place?The set-up of the pet shop i visited may be good,but the price is a lil bit off


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Pet shop with hermit crabs(Let me hear ur opinions)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:11 am

Just realized this is under the wrong category can an admin or someone please help to move this to the D.I.Y and store reviews section?Thanks alot

Locked