Amazon crabitat decor store/crabitat advice

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
sydrae

Amazon crabitat decor store/crabitat advice

Post by sydrae » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:31 am

Does anyone know of a good and safe online store (preferably an Amazon store) to get crabitat decorations? I have 2 new crabs and I want to improve my crabitat. And with that, I need some ways to make a more interesting tank. Humidity and temperature are always great, it just seems bare and boring. Anything like where to get decor, how to make a second level, are fake plants safe or not, etc. thank you! Any advice would be a appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
sydrae

Re: Amazon crabitat decor store/crabitat advice

Post by sydrae » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:32 am

Here is a picture of my tank.

ImageImage

Lokalai

Post by Lokalai » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm a little new here myself, but what I've been doing is going to the online shops and just finding stuff that's originally for reptiles and aquariums and ordering that stuff. I take a look in the description not only to get an idea of the size and weight, but also what is used for that product. As long as I haven't found anything toxic for them (if it has no detail like that, I tend to turn my nose up at it), I've just ordered it and do a little disinfection when it comes in.

I recently made a shell shop on a platform and used some little squares of velcro that hold about 1lb of weight each for getting it attached to the side of the tank and the main part were office drawer organizers. But being paranoid that it could give out the way it sits, I also used some tubes to prop up the outside and made sure those wouldn't slip either.
As for the safe plants, I've read that a lot of people just get some that aren't perfumed or anything from the dollar store. I did the same for mine, but got fabric based instead of the outright plastic. I caught Peep mouthing all over some of the leaves in hopes that they were real the other night and he's still happy. I did watch for the first couple of days to see if they were going to try and pinch pieces off and actually eat it or not though, and I would've removed them if it happened.

I live in a small town, so prices get jacked up out here in pet stores, so I order most stuff online. I've only used one other site than amazon or the chain pet stores sites and I plan to be a returning customer there-
http://www.petmountain.com (I got my temperature and humidity system here, which works great, and they have a low price guarantee)

There is also a list of stores that this site has as a base guide on generally good places to buy some things from. Going from the base page, you can find it by clicking on the "shopping resources" button on the left side of the page. (like you would "forum")
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html

I hope this helps!
125 Gallon 7PP - Missy (Med), Twitchy (Med), Blue (S), Peep (S), Pokey (T), Tiny Squiggle (Micro), Munchy (S)

Topic author
sydrae

Post by sydrae » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:13 pm

I'll have to check those websites out and I now have an idea of how to make a platform. This is so helpful. Thanks!

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Lokalai, I really find the detailed answers so helpful. So much that others know instinctively can be left out, so being a newer member here too, I appreciate the in-depth answers. Thank you. :lol:

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:16 pm

You don't have to stick to "crab decor" - just remember that resin or natural like fiber and terracotta...you can find decorations just about anywhere - the dollar store is where most of us get our flowers and green stuff....
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Lokalai

Post by Lokalai » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Thank you, @Sydrae and @Kittykimbro, I'm glad I can be of help for you!
If you know of an area that you can gather wood (I emphasize legally) that you know is free of the bad stuff like pesticides, you could always gather it. That's how I got some 3-4' cholla branches for my guys and they love climbing all over it. Just make sure you go through and clean it well. :)
125 Gallon 7PP - Missy (Med), Twitchy (Med), Blue (S), Peep (S), Pokey (T), Tiny Squiggle (Micro), Munchy (S)

Topic author
sydrae

Post by sydrae » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:23 pm

@singlemomwithcrab that makes things so much easier! Thanks for your input!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:04 pm

It's not Amazon, but the etsy store deliciously crabby has some neat inexpensive decor like deer antlers I've been considering for my tank.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
sydrae

Post by sydrae » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:11 pm

@rawrgeous ok great, thanks!!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 pm

It's only a few items though, so I'd order those along with food orders or all together to save on shipping. I have crocheted nets out of natural hemp, and or used used fishnet off Amazon or from a craft store. Atm I have a piece of chola holding up one corner of a Corner net buried in the sand suction cupped to the sides of the tank. Pretty inexpensive toys, and the crabs love climbing them. Be creative, pretty much anything goes as long as its not going to mold, have fumes come off it, treated with chemicals/pesticides or listed on the not safe list. When I really need ideas I look at the pictures section, because the members here usually have some pretty cool setups to fuel ideas. :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Crabby Witch

Post by Crabby Witch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:06 am

Pinterest has un ending amounts of pictures of crabitats on there for some great inspiration. Making a second level or 2 will flood your mind with ideas. Yes the dollar store is great for items. I just bought 3 containers that I am going to make a second level for a hugh moss pit and shell shop. Ive got a butt load of bamboo Im going to make the legs with. and a hemp rope to wrap around for easy climbing. The possibilities are endless for tank ideas. I love using levels as then you have more ground space for larger water pools and it gives them more digging space and what I call Zoom Zoom space to walk fast without having so many items to go over.
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC
6 small PP, 3Lg/Jumbos, 6 mediums
One 18-year-old black cat & a conure

todbranson

Post by todbranson » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 am

Lokalai wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 pm
I'm a little new here myself, but what I've been doing is going to the online shops and just finding stuff that's originally for reptiles and aquariums and ordering that stuff. I take a look in the description not only to get an idea of the size and weight, but also what is used for that bamboo drawer organizer. As long as I haven't found anything toxic for them (if it has no detail like that, I tend to turn my nose up at it), I've just ordered it and do a little disinfection when it comes in.

I recently made a shell shop on a platform and used some little squares of velcro that hold about 1lb of weight each for getting bamboo drawer organizer attached to the side of the tank and the main part were office bamboo drawer organizer. But being paranoid that it could give out the way it sits, I also used some tubes to prop up the outside and made sure those wouldn't slip either.
As for the safe plants, I've read that a lot of people just get some that aren't perfumed or anything from the dollar store. I did the same for mine, but got fabric based instead of the outright plastic. I caught Peep mouthing all over some of the leaves in hopes that they were real the other night and he's still happy. I did watch for the first couple of days to see if they were going to try and pinch pieces off and actually eat it or not though, and I would've removed them if it happened.

I live in a small town, so prices get jacked up out here in pet stores, so I order most stuff online. I've only used one other site than amazon or the chain pet stores sites and I plan to be a returning customer there-
http://www.petmountain.com (I got my temperature and humidity system here, which works great, and they have a low price guarantee)

There is also a list of stores that this site has as a base guide on generally good places to buy some things from. Going from the base page, you can find it by clicking on the "shopping resources" button on the left side of the page. (like you would "forum")
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html

I hope this helps!
I know this thread is old but infos are very useful for me... I noted this advice... Thank you...