LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

mom23

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by mom23 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:27 pm

My Indos seem to molt close to the surface, is that normal for indos? One of my indos that I got a YEAR ago just finally molted and she was only a few inches under. When I noticed that I moved her to ISO because my straws were digging around her. She was freshly molted. She sat still for a few days, then ate for 2 days and dug back down for a week. After a weekend of eating post molt foods she's happily back in the main tank. Maybe that happens because they were in rough shape and next time they won't do that.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 am

Not that I want to stir anything up, but has anyone received Aussies?
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:29 am

I cancelled my order for Aussies so I don't know if they ever came in??? I decided I'm at my max in the tanks I have and way too busy this school year to take on any more. I'm sure if someone posts pics of them I'll be sooo jealous, but my human babies come first. Lol.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

FloridaSun

Post by FloridaSun » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:24 pm

I recently lost a Ruggie... Not sure why. This Ruggie had molted since I got her, and I would think she would of gone down again soon. 3 left, 1 has been down for almost 2 weeks.
4 PP, 4 Ruggies

“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 am

So sorry to hear :( My ruggies have done the best so far. Although, I do have a quirky one, "ghostfacekillah", who refuses to change out of his wayyyy too small shell. Its so sad when they don't make it. I don't know about you guys, but I can always tell which ones aren't quite as healthy right away. It throws your for a loop though, when they molt and seem to be out of the woods.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:01 pm

I forgot to mention that my viola's also are doing well.

Teedeums

LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by Teedeums » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:07 pm

I might be ordering two violas (now my tank will be full already :)). I will let you guys know how it goes if I do. They are pretty pricey, I will have to dip into my savings and might have to start dog walking or pet sitting :D, hermies (and supplies) can be a money pit! But it is all totally worth it! :D I hope this order goes well if I do it.

I might not order though because I am still working on my tank
UPDATE: I am ordering them, let's see how it goes
UPDATE 2: I had to cancel because it is going to snow tomorrow, so just disregard this post, sorry
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

CollegeCrabber

Post by CollegeCrabber » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:24 pm

I ordered two E's on Nov 24. I will update once I hear anything. I was really on the fence because the reviews seem so mixed here. Cross your fingers that I receive them all in good health- with an extra! :crabblush:

dinky

Post by dinky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:21 pm

I've noticed others on here having Viola's or planning to order them. I was told that especially large male Viola's can be aggressive and they are noted for digging up other molting crabs and it was suggested I keep mine separate? Does anyone have their Viola's with other crabs and is it going ok between them?
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Violas aren't any more aggressive than any other species. That's a myth. I keep two of them (one for over five years and the other for three years) in my community tank and in my experience they're not aggressive or confrontational at all. Just the opposite.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:15 am

First off I have a tank with blues, straws, e's, ruggs and violas and I cannot say that violas are aggressive, they ARE however territorial, but not much more then any other crab is.If I did say I have bullies I would say my blues and ruggs are far the worst then any other species I have owned as well as my pp's. But I would not call it aggression.

I think it depends on your conditions, how many shells you have, your crabs diet, is your tank large enough (crabs are stuck in close quarters or piled on top of each other?) Do you have enough places for your crabs to hide? (Like 1 hide per crab) Do you have enough shells that actually FIT your crabs? I think a lot of this has to do with how any crab behaves in captivity. I do not believe that some species of crabs are more aggressive then others.

If your violas are acting out try giving them some things to hunt, like waxworms in a bowl of wormcastings, try adding isopods, change up the decor, add more climbing things..that kind of thing. Crabs do get bored and depressed when things stay the same including their diet.

I have owed several different species living together with no issues so that's all i can say from experience

and I have to add please do not order crabs if you are experiencing "winter" in your area, please wait til spring, heat packs WILL FAIL! trust me from experience (not by choice) by getting crabs once it became cold and they arrived alive only to die one by one...save your money and wait til the temps are at least in the 60's or 70's. I do not believe it is humane to ship exotic animals that are used to tropical temps to be shipped in the winter time by relying on a heat pack. Just trying to save you guys some heartache in the future!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:37 am

I also have two violas and I wouldn't call them aggressive. They tend to like to hog the food bowl but i have never witnessed them being aggressive. I see them whack smaller crabs out of their way on the run to the food bowl but I see that will my PPs too. And I don't consider that aggression. I do find they are great climbers and very smart. My two violas constantly are trying to find ways out, and are always the first to explore new things in the tank.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:54 am

Hey guys, this has gotten super off topic. Can we please keep this giant thread to reviews and updates of LHC?
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 am

Hi, I'm new here.

We have 3 PP hermit crabs that I got from the the pet store for my kids. There's really not a lot of places that sell crabs around here and I had to go to a lot of pet stores just to find these three. We bought all three that they had.

So, I decided to get my kids a couple of strawberries and a new crabitat for Christmas. I ordered them from live hermit crabs (and paid a lot between the crabs and shipping. Like $70 for 2 crabs). There is nothing on the website about shipping times, but I assumed they would come pretty quick because of the expedited shipping, so I waited to order until I had the new cage set up and ready to go. The confirmation e-mail I got said it will take 2 weeks to ship. That would put them here Christmas Eve with no delays, so cutting it kind of close. Right away I e-mailed them asking if it is really going to take 2 weeks, and if they could ship a little faster because of the holiday. No response. Several days later I sent another e-mail asking for a response. Nothing.

I'm thinking I need to dispute the charges with my credit card. What are the odds these crabs are going to show up in time? Or like, at all?

Any idea where I can get some crabs in S. San Diego? I really wanted some strawberry ones for the kids, but I'm thinking that's not going to happen. Pretty much the only thing the kids wanted for Christmas were hermit crabs, and now I'm worried Christmas is ruined. I guess we got a nice new 36x18 crabitat, though.

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm

I could be totally wrong, but I thought LHC doesn't ship in the winter because its too cold & too dangerous for the crabs? I thought they normally ship in the summer/fall?
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat