Did my crabby drop some eggs??

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Did my crabby drop some eggs??

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Hrm. Usually what comes out looks like what went in. I could see a pigout on something colorful like egg yolks or carrot causing orange poos, but they usually digest pretty quickly and I think 5 days is too long.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:29 pm

believe me I have been racking my brains too. and i have been finding plenty of poop that looks normal. this looks like very poor quality salmon roe. its totally orange round jelly balls, slighty briney smelling. after a few hours they stunk like fish. they degrade very quickly but so does sashimi if left in a hot/humid room (tat) I guess we have our first mystery at the ChelSEA Hotel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Are they both female? That would be way too much for one crab to have left.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:48 pm

that's a very good question! i was incorrect in my sizing earlier, 2nd deposit was more like a green pea.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Soo curious...
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:11 am

Last night i washed both dishes again in the sink. part of me feels these guys are scent driven and i wouldnt want anything to befoul the water to keep them away.
Low and behold, there is the tiniest of particulate of this reddish orange substance once again on the dish. same spot. this time is the last. its literally what she shook off. but the bowl is nuclear white so any other color will stand out. Ill have to put my Columbo trench coat away, this mystery wont be solved today. thanks again to everyone who responded.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:26 pm

I'd say they are almost certainly eggs. Hermit crab poop is long and skinny like thick cotton. If the eggs are not viable it is likely they have been ditched. The second lot are probably the remainder of the clutch she was carrying and didn't get rid of totally the first time.
Hermit crab eggs will hatch instantly they hit salt water that has a bubbler in it (movement) BUT having said that' I've got Aussies and have zero experience with eggs of other varieties. I have never even seen eggs on my crabs although I have been successful in raising zoea to crabs and my babies are now 14 months old.

Put an ayirstone in your salt pool and keep an eye out. Eggs are carried for about a month in the shell before they are deposited *(usually)
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.