Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

naalide

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by naalide » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:47 am

mlakers wrote:I've had three take shells and go to land. Two met untimely deaths (lots of pitfalls when you're that tiny), but one seems to be doing pretty well. Took a video of my setup and the little new guy to give a shot of size-perspective.

http://maryakers.com/day-44/
That looks great! Congratulations!!! :clap:
mlakers wrote:I still have some stage five and several megalopa in the transition tank, so there may ultimately be more than just the one survivor from that first spawn. Two additional late spawns have been added to the kreisel tanks now and I'm keeping on with the little ones. Tons of work, but also a good chance to fix the mistakes I made earlier and streamline the process.
Go one! If you see the little crabs, you know it's worth all the work and worries. :)
mlakers wrote:It's possible the second spawn was an Ecuadorian, but I can't confirm. However, the zoeae are much faster, growing super quickly, and seem to be especially cannibalistic despite me supplying plenty of food. I guess time will tell me what they are if I can get them far along enough. :D
Very Interesting to read about breeding Es. I will follow you here and at your blog.
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:35 pm

Thank you, everyone! I have two survivors on land as of today! And they have antennae!! So it's official--they are tiny crabs. :banana:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcQKbspq ... WzBQ0cvMz8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWNyvD3Y2 ... D9QqLxCt30

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Mary,
On my first attempt I lost about 50% who had taken shells but not left the water. Nat and I ended up putting it down to the fact the water was too warm in the transition tank and they developed more quickly and also were unable to get out of the water so drowned. I made changes to the transition pools and the second lot didn't have any trouble getting out. I am looking at doing a set up like Naddile for the transition tank next time. water in the bottom with sand in a tray and rocks up the edge so they can get out really easily.

Keep a record of the water temp in the transition tank as that may well impact survival rates. Well done on getting this far though.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you, Renroc! That's super helpful information. :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Wow, congrats on the successful transition! Very happy and excited for you, I highly look forward to progress pics to see them develop over time.

(@Renroc, what temp did you keep them at...? And what temp did you and Nat discuss would be more suitable?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:41 pm

My transition tank water got up to 30c and we decided that 27-28 was best. I just moved the heat mat away from the water end of the tank and that sorted the issue. Kept the second lot at 26-28 and had way less deaths.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 am

Soo adorable!!!! :cloud9: Awesome job!!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 pm

The second batch of babies are starting to come to land! This is the first brave soul. I think this one may be an E--it's so light colored and a little bit blue. It's wearing a lovely shell from wolfnipplechips. :banana:

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:31 pm

So precious! Beautiful picture and beautiful shell, stylish little baby hermit crab! :)

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Congrats! Wishing the little one many healthy happy years!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:47 am

Ohh. I saw this little one on FB, very excited for you - not to mention, the pic is fab!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:25 am

Oh my gosh, how exciting....not to mention how cute the little guy is with it’s fancy shell!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:32 pm

So exciting!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 pm

It's like The March of the Penguins on the ramp in my transition tank. I can't keep up. I currently have 66 little ones in shells and on land (plus the two from the first batch) and more still in the water. I know they won't all survive, but these numbers are truly astounding me. I will be really interested to see how many ultimately survive. It certainly seems like they've already beaten so many things to get where they are. It's hard to imagine how absolutely small they are. I took a picture of one on my hand for perspective. Let me get a link...

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:09 pm