I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Day three...I have been feeding them brine shrimp, brine shrimp eggs and spirulina. Seems to be going well. I have been really busy - debating on whether or not I will set up the kriesel. I currently have them in a large mason jar.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 am

Day 4: going well. Here is the best pic I can get. Bottom of the mason jar has zoea with brine shrimp eggsImage

Edit: I haven’t cleaned their water yet~ and if you zoom in you can see their sheddings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Thats awesome to hear that some sheddings have occured. How exciting! :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Today I ordered phytoplankton and zooplankton. I ordered another type, but I can’t remember the name of it! :) I am supposed to receive it tomorrow so we will see! :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:36 am

Day 5: Still alive! Everyone is always talking about how their babies have color. Mine never have. Mine have always been white. I'm guess because the baby brine shrimp babies are white? IDK. I feed them spirulina and chlorella too. I did try the frozen brine, but that made the water quality too poor. I'm hoping by trying the new foods I ordered (which will arrive tonight by 9), that over the next couple of days I will see color. The other coral food I ordered contains the following: Oyster Larvae, Salmon Roe, Fish Protein, Rotifers, Copepods, Daphnia, Dunaliella salina, Haematococcus Pluvialis, Spirulina, Schizochytrium. I have no idea what some of that stuff is, but I'm going to try it after the zoo plankton and phytoplankton.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Are they moving around at all? I thought they turned white when they died...

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 am

JoeHermits wrote:Are they moving around at all? I thought they turned white when they died...

Yes! :) They are alive and moving all around! :)

Edit: I said white, but I guess they are more clear? Is that better?

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 am

Day 6: Last night I fed them a teeny bit of zooplankton and phytoplankton. Both formulations smell by the way! No telling if they ate it or not because it is microscopic. I'll add the other food today after my water change. :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Day 7: Well...last night my I had issues with my air line. I clip it in half to cut the power of the air down with a plastic clip...and it totally cut the air stone off. Why this decided to happen after six days is beyond me. It appears like most of them passed. I only saw one moving. :crybaby: I unclipped the line, did a water change after an hour, and am hoping for the best. (We aren't allowed to make religious comments on the forum). We will see...Maybe the airline had just quit working?...I'm hoping..... :headshake: So sad....

CrabHappens

Post by CrabHappens » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry. :( hoping for the best for you, too.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Well...unfortunately there weren’t any survivors this morning when I checked the jar.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear it didnt go well this time!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am

Thank you. Maybe next time!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am

I am waiting for that day when I find zoea in my pools! :shock:
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:16 pm

I found this batch on a rock...