Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

mlakers

Re: Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread

Post by mlakers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 am

This thread is SO helpful!! Thank you, naalide. I can't believe, though, that I hadn't noticed all the new posts! I was missing out on so much good information!! Right now, I'm really struggling over what to do for the ones I have at megalopa stage. They are dying before taking shells.

It looks like you have a reef tank AND a transition tank... Super interesting. I was thinking mine would go from the kreisel to the transition tank, but I like the idea of moving the megalopa to keep them developing separately from the zoeae that are still at stage five. I may try to set that up today.

I know you said your transition tank was only 5-8cm deep, but how deep do you keep your reef tank? I really, really want this transition to work, but their changing needs are making me feel so inadequate!! :oops: I'm at a loss, and know from past experience that when I get anxious and start trying too many things, I'm more likely to upset the balance I've got going and lose all of them. Gah! :shock:

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:50 pm

First my update, then all the questions.

Day 62 for the older ones:
Only 11 left. :(
5 are still without shell and megalopa.
4 are megalopa in shells.
2 are little crabs in shells, mostly under water, seldom for a few minutes on land.

Two of the oldes died on land. :headshake:
This is one of them. The '3' is 2,5 mm high.

This is the oldes little crab:

Day 29 for the younger ones:

Since day 24 megalopa, megalopa,... 177 separated till now. About 2000 larvae (stage 3-5) left.

Renroc wrote:naalide may I ask if the water in the transition tank is in a container or all over the bottom of the tank with deeper sand on the beach part? Love your rocks for them to climb up and out on. That's where I lost a heap on my first attempt as they couldn't (didn't) get out of the water.
There is a box with sand for the land. All very wet.
I tried to give them several options, to walk or climb on shore.
If one of the little crabs stay at land, I will put it in a small terrarium.

mlakers wrote:This thread is SO helpful!! Thank you, naalide. I can't believe, though, that I hadn't noticed all the new posts! I was missing out on so much good information!! Right now, I'm really struggling over what to do for the ones I have at megalopa stage. They are dying before taking shells.
Well, I still have the same problem. Mostly because they eat each other. I try to feed them with different things, like brine shrimp (alive and dead), food pellets and even died larvae from my kreisel tanks.
mlakers wrote:It looks like you have a reef tank AND a transition tank... Super interesting. I was thinking mine would go from the kreisel to the transition tank, but I like the idea of moving the megalopa to keep them developing separately from the zoeae that are still at stage five. I may try to set that up today.
With several of the in-between tanks it's even possible to separate younger ans older megalopa from each other. Older ones seldom eat others. And this way they won't be eaten by younger ones.
mlakers wrote: I know you said your transition tank was only 5-8cm deep, but how deep do you keep your reef tank? I really, really want this transition to work, but their changing needs are making me feel so inadequate!! :oops: I'm at a loss, and know from past experience that when I get anxious and start trying too many things, I'm more likely to upset the balance I've got going and lose all of them. Gah! :shock:
The water in my reef-tank (in-between tank) is as high as the transition tank.
For all tanks and Kreisels I use tubes with an air pump.

I clean all the tanks with a tube or a pipette.

As for the Kreisels I drain the water each week. With megalopa each day, to catch them. I use a big tube an filter the water and the larvae with a sieve (those for artemia/brine shrimps). Then I put all larvae from the sieve on a plate, where I can separate or just count them, while caching them with my pipette.
I clean the Kreisel use some old and some new water to refill it and let the larvae back into it.
Counting mostly means, I guess if there are 5, 10, 15 or 20 in the pipette and summate the number for each Kreisel.
If I have to much time ;) or there are only a few hundred left, I count each larvae!

By the way my reeftank in the terrarium for the big crabs is filled with about 30 litre (about 8 US Gallon or 6,5 UK Gallon) and it's 20 cm (8 inch) high. There I use a pump and a skimmer.
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Those teeny-tiny babies are sooo cute! Thank you so much for posting updates, I love seeing them. It’s just so amazing and so interesting to see their stages of development.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am

Thank you. :)

As for the cleaning I made some pictures today:

And now there are 3 little crabs. All close together while eating:

Close-up:

RiNiKy506

Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Awww! They are soo precious! I can’t get over how cute they are! They are soo tiny! Those little eyes are too cute! Such little miracles.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Oh my! Sooooo teeny tiny and cute! :cloud9:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:44 am

The one in the long shell changed to another shell.
Two of them are mostly over the water-level now, but I will wait a few days before I transfer them to a terrarium.
Two others are little crabs, still in the water and another two are megalopa in shells.
Still three megalopa without shells.

Form the second swarm of larvae nearly all are megalopa right now. Over 600 made that stage, but there are much less right now because of cannibalism.

Today's picture of one of the land-crab: :D

And yesterday I made a short video. Should be the same animal:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6vumxo

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 am

They just get cuter and cuter! Such an amazing little baby hermit. Congratulations on the babies. Thank you so much for sharing, love the video.

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:38 am

Today (day 78) I put one of the small ones into a terrarium (60 litre/16 gallons (US)).
It's hard to find it again! ;)

This picture shows the beach-side. The red marking is the crab:

And a close-up:

There are still about 5 others of this breeding, some more at land, than others. Those who stay on land, will be transferred in the terrarium as soon as I catch them. They are very good in hiding right now! :D

The second breeding (day 44) seem not very interested in houses. But I'm patient. All of them are megalopa now an in two riff-tanks.

A third breeding is ahead, because one of my female Violas has eggs in her shell. :smt101

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Congrats on more eggs! I can’t believe how small they are, I can’t get enough of the hermit crab babies! I can’t thank you all, who share your incredible hermit crab life stages with us, enough. It’s truly an amazing thing to see.

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:25 pm

This is SO wonderful. Thank you SO much for sharing naalide!! :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 pm

That is so awesome!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank you all for reading or looking at my pictures. :)

Here are some new:

This was on November 2nd, the first piece of apple ever for this little crab:

Meanwhile on November 8th some megalopas are still looking for shells:

Today I put the last three of them in the transition-tank. There should be 22 now, most with houses, some still without. They are at day 55 today. All are still under water and not melted to crabs.

At least some pictures I made today from the little crabs. Day 89 now!
Mostly they are hiding like this:

But sometimes...

The other one in focus:

And the second one again at the sweet-water:

And the first one again. This time at the same - now eight days old - apple. Yummy! Old apple with mold fungus. Anyway, it seems to like it. :dontknow:

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Thank you sooo much for sharing these pictures. They are soo precious! I can’t get over how tiny and cute they are! The one shell reminds me of a little brown petholatus type shell.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 am

Amazing pics! What amazes me is how red they are, its amazing!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies