Just saw a bug again and idk what it was?!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Just saw a bug again and idk what it was?!

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Okay...so I hate bugs. I totally skeeve them and run for the hills...I know I know but I can’t help it!
First time I saw a bug it was on my dead crab that my son won at a school fair and lasted less than a week. Redid the crabitat, went from 10g to a 20L and just now I saw what I think was a fruit fly and it flew out once I opened the top. I haven’t seen any others and fruit flies are an issue in the past for us so I guess that’s what it had to be but idk tbh. Even looking at photos of bugs freaks me out. I know I know....
Anyways, I guess the real question is....is it completely inevitable to have bugs in the tank? Can you own crabbies without having bug issues? If so, what types of precautions do I take? How often do I clean or deep clean without upsetting my babies?! I’m totally freaked out, so please forgive me for the insane description of yucky bugs lol I can’t help the way I feel about them things! Any advice or answers would be awesome! Thanks y’all!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just saw a bug again and idk what it was?!

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:22 pm

All you really can do is reduce the amount of food for them. Changing out food before it starts to spoil (12-24 hours) is the most effective measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Re: Just saw a bug again and idk what it was?!

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Well ty hun. I do this, it must be bc we have fruit in the house idk.... I’ll be keeping an eye out.
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!