New crabs. Mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Motörcrab

Re: New crabs. Mites

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm

How are you doing with all of these guys? Any updates?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm
How are you doing with all of these guys? Any updates?
Ooh, yes! Do tell how they're doing!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:10 pm
Ooh, yes! Do tell how they're doing!
Yes please
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Well 32 out of 37. (One passed) have moved to the 55g. I observed these guys as closely as possible and I haven’t seen any mites at all. Only 2 of them had questionable spots. I believe they had food mites a lot of them previously. I put new shells in and almost everyone changed shells. it’s hard to find them in the new tank. I built 4 shelves and a bunch of hiding spots. Seem to be doing well. The others are down in the other 2 tanks. Eating quite a bit so I anticipate others going down soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Babybytc88 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm
Well 32 out of 37. (One passed) have moved to the 55g. I observed these guys as closely as possible and I haven’t seen any mites at all. Only 2 of them had questionable spots. I believe they had food mites a lot of them previously. I put new shells in and almost everyone changed shells. Image it’s hard to find them in the new tank. I built 4 shelves and a bunch of hiding spots. Seem to be doing well. The others are down in the other 2 tanks. Eating quite a bit so I anticipate others going down soon.

That's awesome! Glad to hear they're doing much better, and sorry about the one :(
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Only photo I have at the moment. Have the flu Image

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Babybytc88 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:32 pm
Only photo I have at the moment. Have the flu Image

I did, too, lol! Just getting over it; hope you feel better. They seem very happy! :lol:

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 am

Babybytc88 wrote:Well 32 out of 37. (One passed) have moved to the 55g. I observed these guys as closely as possible and I haven’t seen any mites at all. Only 2 of them had questionable spots. I believe they had food mites a lot of them previously. I put new shells in and almost everyone changed shells. Image it’s hard to find them in the new tank. I built 4 shelves and a bunch of hiding spots. Seem to be doing well. The others are down in the other 2 tanks. Eating quite a bit so I anticipate others going down soon.

Wow, you are doing such an awesome job with them! Sorry to hear about the one crabby. Considering what they probably went through before you, I'm surprised only one passed.
Hope you feel better soon! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 am

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the crabs are doing better! Not glad to hear you aren't doing better! Shoo, shoo, crabby flu!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 pm

Same. Its amazing you only lost one. They were lucky you came around. I hope your flu flies the coop soon for your sake.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am

You’re a rock star! That had to be a ton of work, you’re awesome for taking them all on. It sounds like they’re already turning around health-wise, and as someone else said- ‘only’ one loss is an excellent track record so far! Keep doing what you’ve been doing, and I hope you allllll get well soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Update:

Pretty sure I got a surface molter on the “temporary” water dish. . He has been in same spot for 24 hours. Placed a bottle over him. I have never actually seen someone molt before. His skin seemed almost translucent with him standing perfectly still. Only time will tell. Fingers crossed I will be keeping a close watch on him. He is one of the few that have not changed shells or dug down. If it becomes necessary he will be moved to the crabby hospital.

Everyone that has changed shells seems to be happy. At night I can find a bunch of them at the food dish. During the day everyone has a nice sleeping spot to hide in.

Topic author
Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Image random photo of 2 of these cuties in the 55g

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Babybytc88 wrote: I was going to leave them in a bare bones tank but I changed my mind after seeing their behavior. When first given correct salt water, fresh water and food with wet paper towels as sub and hides for them. It was like watching suicide runners. They went into the saltwater flipped onto their backs and became limp. It wasn’t just one crab it was over 10. This was while I was setting up the 2 10g and they were all in the 20g. They were making zero effort to get out and most of the crabs are small. I left them and observed but nobody was moving at all so I ended up removing them from the saltwater and they went and hid. A couple came out of their shells as well in the salt water but when placed in small containers with the shells they came out of they returned to their shells. The crabs were extremely stressed out I’m not sure how long she had them but I know a bunch had already died before I got them. I went ahead and gave them a 5:1 sub mix. Hideouts and pools and food. My thoughts on this was there is a high probability of losing some crabs anyways and I wanted to minimize the death rate if possible. So far nobody has gone down to molt. They have gone down to destress and come back up. They have been porking out on food and water. I have enough sand and ee that I could technically change the sub if I needed to. (As long as nobody was down) The girl said the mites were killing the crabs but in reality their living conditions and lack of proper food and water plus overcrowding is most likely the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What would possess the previous owner to get over 30 crabs when she obviously didn't know how to care for them? I can understand 1 or 2 because they're cute or whatever, but come on. Do you have any insight into her thinking? Or an explanation? I can't imagine she had the proper amount of tank space let alone sub.... completely mind-blowing.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:What would possess the previous owner to get over 30 crabs when she obviously didn't know how to care for them? I can understand 1 or 2 because they're cute or whatever, but come on. Do you have any insight into her thinking? Or an explanation? I can't imagine she had the proper amount of tank space let alone sub.... completely mind-blowing.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
This post was a little further up the page:

"She said she started with 2 then rescued 50 from a boy that got them through a fair or something. Then they started dying and she discovered the mites on dead crabs. That’s when she decided she couldn’t care for them."

I hate fairs/carnivals that have live animals as prizes. My previous neighbor won 2 goldfish a few years back for her kid. Then she decided she didn't want to take care of them, so I took them. The poor things seemed so stressed out. Both passed away within a week. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav