Food mites on my crab

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
MC2buddy

Food mites on my crab

Post by MC2buddy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:00 pm

Ive had my hermit crabs for about a month now and have discovered food mites in their habitat. Did some research on them and read through some of the forums here and i see that they wont harm them but i am concerned because ive noticed today that my smaller one has a bunch of them crawling all over it. :shock: Theyre not clinging to him but theyre crawling all on his legs and in and out of his shell and was wondering if this is something to be concerned with or if its something that im over worrying about with them.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Food mites on my crab

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:52 pm

It may annoy him but it won't hurt him. Something caused their numbers to go a little crazy, so they are out hunting for a meal. I would change the food out more often, and maybe scoop a bit of sand around the bowls when you do. That should help bring the population back down.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
MC2buddy

Re: Food mites on my crab

Post by MC2buddy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Hey, so i did that, and in the mornings i started to pull out any of the fresh food the crabs didnt eat and the mites numbers have seemed to dwindle. I still find some in their water bowls but besides that they're not as many as there were before! Thanks! :clap: