Mites?!?!?!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
PTCrabs

Mites?!?!?!

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I noticed very tiny whitish bugs by/on/under my food dish only...all crabs are down molting so the only thing in there is an egg shell. I have had the same substrate for over a month or two and haven't had any mites till now...what caused this? All crabs are down molting so what do I do to keep them safe? This is really grossing me out and I'm itching all over freaking about it! I can't deal w bugs! Pls help! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
PTCrabs

Re: Mites?!?!?!

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Can they get out of the tank and infest my house???? This is disgusting!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:15 pm

They look like food mites to be. They are harmless, and help as a mini "cleanup crew" of organic material. They shouldn't infest your house. There is a sticky with more info listed under the crabitat conditions subforum.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:16 pm

PTCrabs wrote:Can they get out of the tank and infest my house???? This is disgusting!

I believe food mites are already present in our environment but flock to areas that are filled.with food and wet humid areas (may be wrong on the 2nd part) but as far as i know their present everywhere and as far as i know if their food mites they are not harmful but the mites who infest the crabs themselves like the way a flea would on a cat or dog those are the ones to watch for. I understand your bug fear in also pretty frightened of them myself. As far as i know a deep cleaning and changing of food and water should remove them but they may come back as they are things that are present in homes.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:18 pm

I can't do a deep cleaning cause the crabs are down, it's been about 3 weeks...the food has been a dried egg shell for about the same time. The water is on the other side of the tank and I can't see any around them. So no way to kill them till I can get the crabs out to deep clean, huh?

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:19 pm

Oh and they are on the substrate under the dish

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:24 pm

PTCrabs wrote:Oh and they are on the substrate under the dish

Sounds like food mites. Hmmm yeah I'm aware. You have molters and i wouldn't consider this an emergency because food mites aren't harmful. Do you have a person in the the house who is brave enough to get some paper towels or a scoop and maybe pick some sub up into a bag and toss em? I would just do a spot clean around the dish area and check after the next day amd.if you don't see 'em it should be ok for now

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Ok yes I can def do that :-) thanks! Ugh I'm literally itching like I have lice on my body hahahahaha

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:27 pm

PTCrabs wrote:Ok yes I can def do that :-) thanks! Ugh I'm literally itching like I have lice on my body hahahahaha

I know and i understand its gross but their not going to infest you like fleas ticks or lice. They just want to eat the food.

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:40 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:
PTCrabs wrote:Ok yes I can def do that :-) thanks! Ugh I'm literally itching like I have lice on my body hahahahaha

I know and i understand its gross but their not going to infest you like fleas ticks or lice. They just want to eat the food.

Even if it's just an egg shell? I threw it away and washed the dish and grabbed a handful of sub out in a plastic bag and straight to the outside trash I went! Lol what is safe to leave in there for when my 3 crabs come up? I'm not sure when they will and don't want them to be hungry when they do but also don't wanna get mites.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:45 pm

PTCrabs wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:

Even if it's just an egg shell? I threw it away and washed the dish and grabbed a handful of sub out in a plastic bag and straight to the outside trash I went! Lol what is safe to leave in there for when my 3 crabs come up? I'm not sure when they will and don't want them to be hungry when they do but also don't wanna get mites.

Usually when i have everyone under i leave out oyster shell powder it doesn't go bad i never had any mite issues really thank god

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Ok I'll try to get that tomorrow :-) thank you so much for your help! Image

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Yeah i would replace all the food and switch it out as well as the water pools just to be safe even though their not up i would do the same stuff as. You would they were up

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:59 pm

When mine are down I don't put food out until I see them come up.

Sounds like food mites! Ewwww

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:30 pm

MsWorld wrote:When mine are down I don't put food out until I see them come up.

Sounds like food mites! Ewwww
Yea I just took it out...my head is in there sev times a day and I check on them at night so if/when one comes up I'll know and I'll put food in there then...I can't do these bugs...CAN NOT lol