Mites and Molting emergency

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
kristalotto

Mites and Molting emergency

Post by kristalotto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi - Ive one hermit crab that I've had for 10yrs. He is molting and has been for longer than normal - like 4 weeks. Yesterday I noticed there were mites in his food and I'm freaking out! Do I check to see if the crab is alive and if he is (praying he is), that I move him so I can kill the mites? I've taken out much of the sand and have baked it at 350 for 40 minutes. Any advise would be awesome!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Mites and Molting emergency

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Mites on food are not the same kind that bothers crabs. Most crabitats will have them, they are wood/grain/food mites and are found in our homes. The crab tank offers them ideal conditions and a food source so they move in, too. Nothing to panic over!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
kristalotto

Post by kristalotto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Thank you - ok - so I should not move the crab out of his molting space? Right?

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:24 pm

kristalotto wrote:Thank you - ok - so I should not move the crab out of his molting space? Right?
Nope leave it be :)
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Do not dig him up - there is lots of time he might still be down for. If you have had him for 10 years, he must be pretty large. I have had my crabs for 8 years, and they recently molted for over 3 months!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm

I agree with Curly. Don’t dig up your crab. One of my crabs just dug down for her molt and I don’t expect her to be back up until December or January at least and she’s a medium. My male is also going to be burying soon too.