Tiny bugs?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Tiny bugs?

Post by Gracemackenz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 pm

I don’t know if I’ll be able to insert a video or not, but there are easily thousands of tiny little bugs in my crabitat. I don’t think they’re harming my crabs because I don’t see any on them when I check, but they are all over the tank and food and walls. They even jump which is kind of scary. Do any of you know what they could be? They don’t look like the food mites or the springtails but I could be wrong. Thanks!https://youtu.be/P_W-YmNSbmE https://youtu.be/LLp9flKSsZ0

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tiny bugs?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 am

To me, they look like springtails... but I could be wrong

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:41 am

My vote is for springtails as well!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Post by Gracemackenz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Thank you! They aren’t harmful, are they?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Springtails aren't harmful at all - in fact they actually eat leftover crab food, poop, and mold!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Post by Gracemackenz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 pm

I need help. They’re everywhere! There’s easily over 1,000; maybe even over 10,000 :/ how can I get rid of them forever? I’ve been in this situation twice and they keep coming back. It’s so annoying and it’s annoying that they crawl out of the crabitat into my desk (yuck!)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:12 am

Wow!!!

Springtails need a food source to reproduce, and unfortunately cocofiber can be enough to sustain them. If it's getting that bad and keeping the tank cleaned of old food and crab poop is not working, I would recommend swapping the tank out to more, or even all, sand.

The other option would be to keep the tank dryer so the surface of the substrate is not as friendly for reproduction, but that could seriously affect the hermits.

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Post by Gracemackenz » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi! Would the crabs like sand? I feel like they wouldn’t enjoy it as much as the cocofiber but if it’s enough for the springtails to go away, I might do that. I’m just concerned about how to keep the humidity in the tank because I have yet to get a top that keeps it in. I usually wet the cocofiber and that works well, but would I be able to do the same with the sand?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:43 pm

Gracemackenz wrote:Hi! Would the crabs like sand? I feel like they wouldn’t enjoy it as much as the cocofiber but if it’s enough for the springtails to go away, I might do that. I’m just concerned about how to keep the humidity in the tank because I have yet to get a top that keeps it in. I usually wet the cocofiber and that works well, but would I be able to do the same with the sand?
They live in and on sand or a mix of sand and bits of plant fiber in the wild. That's what is natural for them. If you mix sand and coconut fiber with dechlorinated water, to a consistency that allows you to build a sandcastle (holds shape and compacts well without dripping or being mushy) then that will also help maintain a consistent humidity while providing them with the substrate they need to dig and tunnel in.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Post by Gracemackenz » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Ok thank you so much! Thanks for all of your help - my sister brought home my crabs from a carnival and I want to give them the best life possible :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:06 pm

The thing is, coco fiber provides the best humidity levels. Sand or even a mostly sand mix won't be as steady or as manageable if you're already having trouble with humidity. I would strongly urge you to figure out how to keep that stable (and we can help with that!) before changing it out. Sand is less forgiving with heavy spraying or when adding too much water, as the water will sink to the bottom and then flooding and bacterial blooms come into play.

My tanks are all 100% sand, because I have a pretty good allergy to coco fiber. I love them, but they have their own set of issues.

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Post by Gracemackenz » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:57 pm

How can I keep the humidity stable? The highest I can get it is 50% and that makes me so nervous and scared for my crabs.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:23 am

Gracemackenz wrote:How can I keep the humidity stable? The highest I can get it is 50% and that makes me so nervous and scared for my crabs.
What kind of lid do you have? Do you have gauges? If so what kind?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Post by Gracemackenz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:43 am

I just have one of those screen top lids. I’m thinking of investing in a better one since this obviously isn’t doing the trick. I have a humidity and temperature gauge as well.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:48 am

Gracemackenz wrote:I just have one of those screen top lids. I’m thinking of investing in a better one since this obviously isn’t doing the trick. I have a humidity and temperature gauge as well.
Seal the lid by covering it with saran wrap and taping it down. You don't have to even leave any unsealed for air. They'll get enough air when you feed them. Or you can get a thin sheet of plexiglass at a hobby store and cit it to fit the lid. Then tape it down. Humidity is so important for them. They need it to breath. Are your gauges digital or analog? Analog aren't accurate.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi