Mites?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
lovesage

Mites?

Post by lovesage » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 pm

I recently just got 3 new hermit crabs that were abandoned for atleast a week I got the whole tank and the decor inside it however upon further inspection I noticed small bugs crawling on the sand and on one of the hermies claw I've never had any problem with this so obviously I had no idea what to do but I quickly got them out of the tank and washed them off They are currently ino a separate aquarium with water and food however I'm worried that the mites may spread to my already existing tank of hermit crabs and also don't know how to go about killing the mites or dealing with this situation at all since all the roads are closed due to snow so I can't go to any pets stores I've had some people tell me they are springtales however I don't think they are since they were on the hermit crab and usually springtales would go on the wood

if you guys have any insight on this, maybe any tips or anything please tell me

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Mites?

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Any kind of springtail or harmless mite will sometimes end up on the crabs. If they are all over the tank and there are just a few on the crabs, they're going to be completely harmless! Bad mites will be all over the crabs and maybe a few might be in the tank.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram