Bugs?!?!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Bugs?!?!

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Eeek! I love bugs outside, but hate them inside out home. What kind is this? Can they fly? Dangerous to human kid?

I cleaned up the food & removed the dirt around where they were and I vacuumed in case I dropped any. But I’m nervous there are more and they’ll make it out of the tank.

It must have been the freeze dried crickets. This is only the second time I’ve given them to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Bugs?!?!

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 pm

They are food mites and are harmless. They didn’t come from the crickets. They just like to eat old food.

Just feed dry foods for a bit and remove it every morning and they’ll die off a bit.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Where did they come from? I’ve never seen them before and the crickets is the only new thing in the tank.

You’re saying there’s lots more in the substrate I can’t see? ::shiver:: Will they go away if I change the substrate in the tank and rinse everything off?

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 pm

And what kind of dry foods- dried beans, seeds, popcorn, etc? How do I give them balance feeding only dry?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:13 pm

They very likely came from inside your home - these guys are native and are drawn to the warmth and food of the crabitat. I can tell you I severely injured myself cleaning the first time I found them, tore the entire tank apart and cleaned and sterilized everything. They were back three days later! Think of them as a tiny clean-up crew, they eat just about anything.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:15 pm

I am shocked. Do they fly?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 pm

They climb really really well.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 pm

even up glass?

I covered the rest of my tank lid with Saran Wrap.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 pm

So, I saw more bugs and kinda panicked and decided to clean out my tank Image. Not ideal
Dive I had 2 crabs down, but I worried the bugs could be munching on my crabs.

3 are good now, exploring, but 1 was molting. He’s pretty far along, but his big claw and a few small legs of the exoskeleton were left. I isolated him in a 10” x 5” container with moist eco earth, a little bit of sorghum moss, a few shells, and fresh water. I dug a shallow put him in it with his exoskeleton fragments and bee pollen.

Is this ok? What else should I do? It’s so cramped because I wanted to give him substrate to dig down into. Does he need salt water now or should I wait a few days?

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 pm

To clarify, I rinsed off the exoskeleton fragments in a container of dechlorinated saltwater. That’s what the first photo is.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:46 am

Just so you know, the bugs might come back. It's a normal part of crabbing. Also, hermies sometimes don't eat their big claw. It's not necessary to give water until you see him/her moving around. You can give a little bottle cap to him/her of dechlorinated msw and dechlorinated fw - that would never hurt.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 am

What does msw stand for? Some type of salt water I assume. He’s moving around a bit, I saw him eating some of the exoskeleton last night and he’s moved back to the little ditch I made before. I added salt water and royal jelly. I think another day or two and he can go back in with the others.

I hope the bugs don’t come back. How do I keep them contained to the tank if they do?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 pm

MSW - marine saltwater :)

TBH, a few years ago I ordered the hypo miles mites for my garden, and threw some in my crabitats. Haven't seen ANY springtails or food mites since! That is the only way to 100% get rid of them - but those aren't cheap. Other than that - it comes with the territory.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com