Ladybug Roommate?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Ladybug Roommate?

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm not sure that this is the right section for this, let me know if it's not.
I have what you can only call a 'rescue ladybug' that I found wandering my house. I like to take care of the ones I find before/during winter and release them in the spring. My question is if maybe she would enjoy going into the crabitat? She could eat the food in the dish and drink from the water dishes. I'm sure she'd love the warmth. Would the crabs try to eat her? She can move pretty fast and she can fly. I'm also sure she would love to fly, because the enclosure I currently have her in doesn't have enough room for more than a quick flight. Some things that make me question putting her in is that she's this lady-beetle other species thing that's actually not native to my area (it's an invasive species from Japan, Google 'Japanese Lady Beetles' if you need more info) that's slightly more aggressive than actual ladybugs. Would it be a good idea to put her in with the crabs? Thanks for any advice! :)
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Ladybug Roommate?

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm

They can cause chemicals burns in dogs and cats if provoked or eaten. I doubt a crab would attempt it, but there is always a chance it could be harmful to them as well. I normally say dogs and crabs are lightyears apart, but the toxin is used to prevent attacks by all predators, including other insects, which makes it more likely to have an adverse effect on hermits.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram