Stink Bugs

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Stink Bugs

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm

In my house we always have trouble with stink bugs😬They are so gross and disgusting all year round😱. I was wondering.....if a stink bug gets into the hermit crab tank what will happen? Are stink bugs harmful to hermies or will they fight them? I'm not sure what to do to keep them out if needed.
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stink Bugs

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 am

A good fitting lid will be a good idea, whether it's a screen lid, or a tight fitting glass... An bit of prevention is better than tryna find the cure.

Otherwise, I imagine that they may not run into problems, unless they come across a moulting crab. IMO, no animal will not say no to an easy meal, and a moulting crab is the definition of that.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 am

Okay thanks so much!!! :P Next year I am planning on getting a 20gal tank for my 2 crabs and a sliding glass lid. Do you think that will do the trick?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:47 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 am
Okay thanks so much!!! :P Next year I am planning on getting a 20gal tank for my 2 crabs and a sliding glass lid. Do you think that will do the trick?
From what I've seen on the sliding glass lids, yes.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Stink bugs don't dig so there's no risk to molters unless it's a surface molt. The worst that has happened here has been them drowning themselves in various water dishes. Apart from the smell, I've not had any issues with it with any of my animals.

They really are awful, aren't they? They climb into my vacuum to hide when it's stored away, and then when it gets turned on WHOOO stank!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:28 pm

YES they are terrible :cry: But I'm glad to know that they most likely won't be a problem for my little critters!!! :crabbigsmile: They are just such a pain and I would hate it if they bothered my crabs any.