Worms or bugs!?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Worms or bugs!?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:39 pm

I tried searching a little bit, I’ll admit was kind of lazy in my search, dealing with sick kids and think I’m coming down with it myself. Anyway... Was cleaning yucky rotted food off of substrate and saw these thin, tiny, white wormy looking things!? I panicked and scraped them into the saltwater dish as I change that out also. I didn’t really get a good look at them and I didn’t think to get any pictures bc I panicked and had to get what I saw out as fast as I could. Thinking they may be springtails but in my search I’ve seen they’ve been in people’s water. Can they also live on the substrate in the decaying food? I admit I did leave it an extra day, I normally don’t as long as the food isn’t growing fuzz its ok. Could they actually be springtails? I’ll try to get a picture of them if I see them again.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worms or bugs!?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:03 am

If they have little tiny legs - aka they dont slither- then its likely they are springtails. Nothing wrong with springs, they form a great cleanup crew by eating mould spores and organic matter.

Otherwise, if they are wormy... most likely they detrivous nematodes. Also harmless, and a good clean up crew as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Re: Worms or bugs!?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:05 am

Thank you so much! I really didn’t get a good look at them, I panicked and got rid of them as fast as I could. I’ll try to keep an eye out for them and get a picture so I can find out exactly what they are.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Worms or bugs!?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 am

I really can’t tell what they are! I scraped some sub and saw movement but as soon as I took them downstairs and out to brighter light they don’t move anymore. I think they had antenna but I really could tell, a picture won’t even capture them.
Edit: I may be smooshing them as I was trying to look for them and moving the substrate sample around, I was trying to be careful but they are so tiny. I think they may have legs, I can’t even tell with a magnifying glass. I guess as long as they’re not hurting my crabs.