Tiny Bugs Please Help

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
FenHarel

Tiny Bugs Please Help

Post by FenHarel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:13 pm

I have owned Hermit Crabs for almost three years now and I've noticed within the last year that these tiny insects keep showing up in my tank. They remind me if book lice, and are very tiny and greyish white. No matter what I do they keep returning in the tank. Is there any way to get rid of these things without harming the crabs? I think they may be attracted to their food, although I usually feed them freeze-dried mealworms, shrimp, and crickets. I will admit I leave their food in there for long periods of time, but these aren't maggots or fruit flies.

I'm at a loss because I have done everything for these crabs and they still seem to be too much work. Please help!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tiny Bugs Please Help

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:15 pm

They sound like sprintails. If so, they harmless and help form a biological clean up crew - and actually eat mould spores!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
FenHarel

Post by FenHarel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:28 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:15 pm
They sound like sprintails. If so, they harmless and help form a biological clean up crew - and actually eat mould spores!

On mobile so hard to upload a picture but I got this one
Are these springtails?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 pm

FenHarel wrote: On mobile so hard to upload a picture but I got this one
Are these springtails?
They do look like it...

Looks very similar to Willowsia nigromaculata... probably not the case, but very similar body shape. Are they around 2mm in length?

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
FenHarel

Post by FenHarel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 pm
They do look like it...

Looks very similar to Willowsia nigromaculata... probably not the case, but very similar body shape. Are they around 2mm in length?

I googled the Willosia nigromaculata and they seem to be a perfect match, though I'm unsure. They vary in size from 1-3mm.

Their bodies are kind of scaled looking, three sections on their back, layered one on top of the other, and are either the dark grey or translucent. Not sure if the translucent are the same type of insect. Seem to have no affect on the crabs though as one is out right now checking out shells. My biggest concern is whether or not they will leave the tank and get into my room?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:01 am

Most likely if they do leave the tank, they won't survive. Smaller insects really prefer humid conditions in order to retain moisture.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Do you want them gone?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️