There was a bug in my crab's shell!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

There was a bug in my crab's shell!

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 pm

I picked up my crab Blueberry, who I think molted, and I saw a tiny orange bug crawl out of his shell. What could it be? I was thinking it might be a type of crab mite or a soil mite but I think I will bathe my crabs and see if there are any left. Please give advice. Thanks!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Re: There was a bug in my crab's shell!

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:46 pm

I gave Peach and Blueberry (the only known ones up) a saltwater and freshwater bath, and I don't think I saw any mites. there might have been only like one or two from each but the just looked like grains of EE so I'm not sure. It was fun taking the crabs out and playing with them (please no mean comments about playing with them :) )but now they are back in the tank. I think it was probably a soil mite now (and maybe a food but probably not). That is kinda a relief but that one was the only one I saw. Blueberry is in a pearly white snail shell, so I could see the color pretty well. I haven't seen any on any food scraps mixes or powders, in the EE or sand, and I didn't see any in the water dishes. Which I guess is a good sign.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Do you have a photo?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Do you have a photo?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Sorry no, and I haven't seen it since I saw it the first time and I didn't see it in the water after each bath. I can say it was orangeish reddish and it was very tiny. It was bigger than a grain of sand and It crawled across his shell.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 am

Please help

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:36 am

Crab mites cling to the crabs on their eyestalks, antennae, and joints. They are primarily sedentary once they find a host.

It’s most likely a lost food mite. They’re harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk