Little Gnats[emoji51]

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Little Gnats[emoji51]

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 am

So I've been having trouble lately with little gnats getting in my hermit crab tank and eating their food. I've already caught a good majority of them with an old mason jar and paper funnel trap. Does anyone have any tips for what I can do with their food when they're not eating it to keep the gnats out??? I thought about maybe trying some fly tape as well, what do all you hermit crab professionals think?

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Little Gnats[emoji51]

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 am

Hello :) I'm sorry that you are having trouble with gnats. First of all, try to remove the food when the hermits are less likely to eat it.
Then, try to stick to dry foods also. Vinegar traps work well. You can use what you mentioned.

I do like the fly tape - however - it is dangerous to use in the crabitat because you don't want your hermit crabs to get stuck to it. Yellow fly tape is safe to use outside the tanks. :) I hope this helps you.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello :) I'm sorry that you are having trouble with gnats. First of all, try to remove the food when the hermits are less likely to eat it.
Then, try to stick to dry foods also. Vinegar traps work well. You can use what you mentioned.

I do like the fly tape - however - it is dangerous to use in the crabitat because you don't want your hermit crabs to get stuck to it. Yellow fly tape is safe to use outside the tanks. :) I hope this helps you.
Thank you very much!!!ImageImage

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Yw! Any update?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Yw! Any update?
There are a lot less gnats now!!!Image Thank goodness!!!ImageImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Glad to hear :)