Large worms found in freshwater bowl!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Large worms found in freshwater bowl!

Post by sarcasticLynx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:43 am

Went to check on the crabs yesterday and saw large worms in the dish!!!! Right now i see 2/3 hermit crabs up over the past few days so I'm pretty worried about what they are. The larger worm is probably 1mm thick and the smaller one is probably half of that. The length is probably 5 or so cm long. Much larger than any debris worm I've ever seen. Photo links:

The large brown thing is just a stick, not a worm. The bigger worm is pinkish, and the smaller one is more blue/gray. I will edit the pictures circling them if it's too hard to find them. Any identifications would be nice. Thank you...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Large worms found in freshwater bowl!

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Could you have added anything that may have had earthworms hiding in it?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Post by sarcasticLynx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Not that i can think of! All decor had been washed in very hot water, all food is either human grade fresh or freeze dried, but the sand was play sand from home depot, and the soil is eco earth. I guess there could have been eggs in the play sand? That's all i can think of. The tank is over a year old now, with no substrate changes.

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:18 pm

The images are not visible here. "Worms"... many people mistake e.g. beetle larvae, millipedes and centipedes for "worms".
Worms in the water dish could be even a parasite of insects, like nematodes which could get pretty big. Some nematodes force their host to go into the water to set the nematode free, and the nematode even emerges when an already-dead infected insects falls into water. Have you ever tried to feed insects, dead or alive, or were there any chances that an insect infested with nematodes fell into your tank? Typical hosts are large grasshoppers, mantis and beetles.

An image would be really helpful.
If you have added some kind of wood, even months ago, this also could be the source - if the "worms" are beetle larva or millipedes.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Im happy the image doesn't work lol
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:29 pm

None of the images show up for me.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

kuza

Post by kuza » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Mine continued to leave worms that looked like either nematodes or Arundinula washingtoniensis. Long, stringy and seemed like they had many small cells for body segments. They came in on some blueberry crabs and it completely wiped my colony within 2 years and I had them as well. Since I've lost my colony I no longer have them myself either. Not the kind of thing you want to hear, but it's better to know the truth.

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Post by sarcasticLynx » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Wow this is a very old post of mine. Sorry if this is against the rules or anything, but I wanted to try to add the photos again. This is a direct link to the photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158378478 ... ed-public/

The person mentioned Arundinula washingtoniensis, and honestly they look pretty similar when i looked them up. Opinions?

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:42 am

Those look more like earth worms like wode said.

Mine looked like this:

https://imgur.com/a/3TCmBus