Knats

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
ThatMamaDawn

Knats

Post by ThatMamaDawn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I noticed a knat flying around in my crabitat. Is this normal? Will it hurt the crabs?

Thanks!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mama of 4 PP’s: Crabby, Hermie, Mr. Crabs, & Squidward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlookittiePC

Re: Knats

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi! I have also had issues with gnats in my crabitat. The first thing you need to figure out is where they are coming from. If there is only one it is most likely from plants or other places in your house. The easiest way I've found to get rid of them is to attach a long extension onto your vacuum and carefully (make sure not to bump or move any crabs or decorations) vacuum the gnat up. Alternately, if you don't feel comfortable with the vacuum in the tank, you can watch the gnat until it flies onto one of the sides of the tank and squish it with a tissue or something. After that keep watch to make sure there aren't any more. Also, find out where in your house they are coming from. Check the pots of any houseplants to see if there are colonies living around the dirt. Hope this helps!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!