Tiny white and brown larvae in saltwater

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Prplpncher5

Tiny white and brown larvae in saltwater

Post by Prplpncher5 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:44 pm

So I changed my saltwater bowl yesterday and I wake up this morning to find a large amount of very small white and brown maybe black even larvae they are concentrated in bundles only in my saltwater no bugs on my crabs or their food I'm at a loss right now

Motörcrab

Re: Tiny white and brown larvae in saltwater

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:16 pm

Hello and welcome to the HCA!

I'm not that good with bugs in the crabitat. My guess is that they are food mites. They live in all our homes undetected. Usually if you get rid of them they come back eventually. Here is a link to our Mites Guide for more information.

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=92530
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Prplpncher5

Post by Prplpncher5 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 pm

I think they may be the start of a bunch of springtails I changed out both my waters after my crab had a quick run about In it and changed my food just to keep the numbers under control even tho they are supposedly harmless even beneficial

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:06 am

Are they very small, like you can see them swimming but they’re tiny? I get some white ones in my water dishes in my baby crab tank. I think someone said they were springtails but hadn’t heard of them being in the saltwater like that. You are right, they won’t hurt anything. Just kind of annoying to see. Lol! Sometimes I see them more than others.

Topic author
Prplpncher5

Post by Prplpncher5 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:32 pm

Yeah really small and I would think they wouldn't survive in saltwater for days on end