Adding Isopods to Main Tank

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Adding Isopods to Main Tank

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:45 pm

I am planning to add isopods to my tank after my next deep clean. Question is, is it required to change substrate every now and then? Another question, how much substrate would I need to add to the tank at first to make it settle down to about 8 inches?
3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adding Isopods to Main Tank

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Are you sure that you want to add isopods? :hlol: I only love not cleaning up poop! They are a huge hassle! Mine overpopulate like crazy!!

Do you mean how many inches should you add to make it settle to 8"? If that is the case, then I would add 10-11"
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 pm

You don't actually have to deep clean and change substrate. I have had my crabs for 8 1/2 years and have never thrown out the substrate. I have just added more when I upgraded tanks or when it settled and I needed more depth.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm sorry, I suppose I forgot to address that part of your question - great catch Curlysister!

I've never changed my substrate either! I've just added to it.

The only reason you would need to change substrate is if you had a bacterial bloom.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:21 am

I thought that I might as well post my input on this question as well.

I added some wild isopods to my tank that I collected around my yard (they were kept separate for about a month) that I wanted to put into my crabitat.

Now I have over a thousand crawling all over the place, they wedge themselves in the cracks of the cork bark, crawl inside of the barnacles, and munch down on the cuttlebone. They are almost impossible to stop from breeding, unless you manually remove them from the tanks you will wind up with too many too handle.

I have also observed that the crabs don't like them when they are out so often, they refuse to touch the ground if an isopod group gathers around near them, they also flick their legs and pinchers around when one crawls up onto them.