Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I've always thought it would be cool to have some pill bugs in there but now I'm worried that they will take over the tank and I'll never get then out. I was thinking about some dairy cows, maybe they wont take over as bad as some other species like the dwarfs. What do y'all think?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Research. Research, research! I have read that some species are easier to keep in check than others. I know PinchersAndShells keeps a big variety of species. He may be able to point you in the right direction or suggest a forum.

The Isopods I got two years ago are still going strong. We pulled them out of out tank a year ago. They are currently in their own tote. Last week I noticed a few that managed to make their way into Crabbyland!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:40 pm

I had a serious over population problem with mine! They were eating all the crabby foods before my crabs could eat. My crabs were annoyed with them. Then I had a bacterial bloom and lost them all. I won't ever have any isopods back in my tanks ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am

Xenocrab wrote:I had a serious over population problem with mine! They were eating all the crabby foods before my crabs could eat. My crabs were annoyed with them. Then I had a bacterial bloom and lost them all. I won't ever have any isopods back in my tanks ever.

What species were they?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 am

I'm not sure what type they were. We asked for them with a food order of we placed from another member.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:11 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:I've always thought it would be cool to have some pill bugs in there but now I'm worried that they will take over the tank and I'll never get then out. I was thinking about some dairy cows, maybe they wont take over as bad as some other species like the dwarfs. What do y'all think?

I will tell you I put 2 in and I have hundreds now. I've even dumped a few times. They don't bother the crabs but they do take over. The good thing is they eat everything and keep the tank clean.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:14 am

Xenocrab wrote:I had a serious over population problem with mine! They were eating all the crabby foods before my crabs could eat. My crabs were annoyed with them. Then I had a bacterial bloom and lost them all. I won't ever have any isopods back in my tanks ever.

I'm over populated with them right now. I wish I never did it. Even removing a lot there are still a lot. Smh. Who's idea was this anyway lol. Ughhh

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:40 am

Oh well! Was a cool idea but sounds like alot more trouble than its worth. Thanks for the advice everyone!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:27 am

I like my isopods, I was unsure at first and for a minute I thought “why did I do this!?” but once I got used to knocking off my decor into a tote once in awhile, it isn’t too bad. I think some people are ok with doing it and other people don’t like to. It’s not an easy thing to decide because once you have them, they’re not going anywhere. Lol! I had 4 different tanks with the same species, a mix of powder orange and blue, and they seemed to really overpopulate my 20 the worst for some reason. They aren’t too bad in my 120 but I did mix my sub a lot dryer this time, so I’m wondering if that plays a role too. I wanted to add some exotic species to my 120 but the others came on on wood and made their way in so I’m not sure how that would work with adding another species in with them. They do help clean up a little and aerate the substrate. I feed the tote of extra ‘pods leaf litter and left over crabby food. I think they’re pretty cool little guys, I like having them. Definitely go with a slower breeding species and I think it would be a lot easier. Like someone else said above PinchersAndShells would probably be able to tell you what to get or maybe ask a place that specializes in isopods.

StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:51 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:I like my isopods, I was unsure at first and for a minute I thought “why did I do this!?” but once I got used to knocking off my decor into a tote once in awhile, it isn’t too bad. I think some people are ok with doing it and other people don’t like to. It’s not an easy thing to decide because once you have them, they’re not going anywhere. Lol! I had 4 different tanks with the same species, a mix of powder orange and blue, and they seemed to really overpopulate my 20 the worst for some reason. They aren’t too bad in my 120 but I did mix my sub a lot dryer this time, so I’m wondering if that plays a role too. I wanted to add some exotic species to my 120 but the others came on on wood and made their way in so I’m not sure how that would work with adding another species in with them. They do help clean up a little and aerate the substrate. I feed the tote of extra ‘pods leaf litter and left over crabby food. I think they’re pretty cool little guys, I like having them. Definitely go with a slower breeding species and I think it would be a lot easier. Like someone else said above PinchersAndShells would probably be able to tell you what to get or maybe ask a place that specializes in isopods.
Yes I'm doing that now I have a plastic bin I can shake the excess ones in With as many as I think I removed, there are still pleanty. I'm just gonna have to keep thinning the herd.
I like them too but when they over breed it's just too many.