Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I've always thought it would be cool to have some pill bugs in there but now I'm worried that they will take over the tank and I'll never get then out. I was thinking about some dairy cows, maybe they wont take over as bad as some other species like the dwarfs. What do y'all think?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Research. Research, research! I have read that some species are easier to keep in check than others. I know PinchersAndShells keeps a big variety of species. He may be able to point you in the right direction or suggest a forum.

The Isopods I got two years ago are still going strong. We pulled them out of out tank a year ago. They are currently in their own tote. Last week I noticed a few that managed to make their way into Crabbyland!

Xenocrab

Re: Isopods in crabitat: yes or no?

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:40 pm

I had a serious over population problem with mine! They were eating all the crabby foods before my crabs could eat. My crabs were annoyed with them. Then I had a bacterial bloom and lost them all. I won't ever have any isopods back in my tanks ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.