Some Isopod questions

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Just Jay

Re: Some Isopod questions

Post by Just Jay » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:52 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I don't give mine in the crabitat water dishes...and they are thriving. When I had them in a tote I used to spray it once a day in the morning with dechlorinated water. I actually saw a bunch of them out in the day a week ago, and then I realized why. A hermit was foraging through "their" area trying to get at them!
Hahaha thats so cute. I figured if the environment is misted and humid enough they will find "pools" or droplets they an drink from

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Im sure with over crowding they will eat each other but is there any specific size to number of isops?

I have a 20g long tank with four hermits [for now]. I am planning on purchasing 100 isops. 50 for the hermit crab tank and 50 to breed and live so as i need more ill have more.

What size tank would recommend for the isops?

Also if i purchase the isops from an online breeder do i still need to wait before putting them in my own tank? [Why or why not if you dont mind explaining]

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm not sure how many isopods are supposed to go into a tank. I raised my isopods in a 3 gallon tote. No, I don't think you need to wait to put isopods into your tank once you get them from a breeder. That's just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Appreciated none the less. I keep reading a good rule of thumb. I keep reading different things and thats just how i came to 50 or so for my size tank

EadvEnturEs

Post by EadvEnturEs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm with GotButterflies. Should be fine! I would put at least 50 in a 20G to start, so you're right on there.

For their own habitat, a tote like that should be totally fine. I personally never tried that hard with it when I had them before. I tossed all I had into my hermit tank and they lived a happy coexistence, regularly seen eating out of the hermit food dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 65G tank and am working on a 5 E colony
1 E: a medium girl named Luna
Please look for my adoption post in the thread for TX!
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=112952

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Not needing anything separate would be soooo much easier. Might up the number and just put them in with the hermit's

EadvEnturEs

Post by EadvEnturEs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:37 pm

I honestly don't have the patience for it. I'm planning out a 65G now and will start by ordering and adding a whole batch of 100. If I decide their population ever dips too low, I'll buy more. I don't want to manage a separate tank, but that's just me.

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:38 pm

I wouldn't hate it but i dont necessarily have the space and any extra work is work away from my other pets lol

EadvEnturEs

Post by EadvEnturEs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Haha, totally understand. Do what's best for you. It's different for everyone.

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:40 pm

EadvEnturEs wrote:Haha, totally understand. Do what's best for you. It's different for everyone.

I say that at least once a day at work hahahaha

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:36 am

NLindsey921 wrote:http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Isopods_c15.htm
Try this one. It's where I got mine.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the rec. This looks like a good company.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:39 am

It was a lot of fun raising the isopods at first. I enjoyed feeding them, seeing the first set of babies, etc. Then the holidays came and I became overwhelmed. They've done a great job cleaning up crab poo in my tank though. I'm much happier with them there. I don't get to see them as often, but my tank is very clean, so they are doing their job!! I just ordered a bunch more for my other tank from isopod connection. Stacy ships them beautiful, with care, and gave me samples of hermit crab food too.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

GotButterflies wrote:It was a lot of fun raising the isopods at first. I enjoyed feeding them, seeing the first set of babies, etc. Then the holidays came and I became overwhelmed. They've done a great job cleaning up crab poo in my tank though. I'm much happier with them there. I don't get to see them as often, but my tank is very clean, so they are doing their job!! I just ordered a bunch more for my other tank from isopod connection. Stacy ships them beautiful, with care, and gave me samples of hermit crab food too.

im so excited to add some! now just thinking i should wait till i get my upgrade set together. i cant see any making it threw moving tanks.