How do you keep from pitching the little beggars?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Wlfwo

How do you keep from pitching the little beggars?

Post by Wlfwo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Most of the time the crabs food dish is pretty much empty when I go to refill it. But one of the guys went down (doubt he molting, just partying down under going by the noise). So the dish was getting sort of fluffy. Ended up having to pick through it with a flashlight to get all the baby isopods out. Dumped them in a clean medicine cup and then hauled them back to the tank. Wasn't exactly thrilled with picking through the residue of the food dish, LOL. Took a bit to get it all out from under my nails. Anyone have an easier way? I would have used a toothpick, but I didn't want to stab any of the little fellas.
I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

HermitCrabCHICA

Re: How do you keep from pitching the little beggars?

Post by HermitCrabCHICA » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Tweezers or a small and I mean really really small spoon. Good luck!
RIP My precious Bubbles and Kelpcake. :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do you keep from pitching the little beggars?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:43 pm

You could always keep a separate rubbermade container with isopods, and just knock the food dish in there. :dunno:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com