Heating issue and setup

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Hermit199013

Heating issue and setup

Post by Hermit199013 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:36 pm

So...I'm new to hermits. I've done alot of research...but I am currently low on funds so bought Walmart reptile 75 watt day time light. I'm having issues getting the temp above 70 degrees. I have the humidity averaging 75%
Also I only have 10 gallon tank with to purple Pinchers I believe....

I am upgrading in about a week to much larger tank and would like to put in a permanent pool not interested in Tupperware so any help is great on which silicon is safe to use.

But my biggest concern is getting the temp right. Please help me I'm new to forum as well! I'm worried because my hermits are not as active lately. Trying to get things going please help asap!!!!

Topic author
Hermit199013

Re: Heating issue and setup

Post by Hermit199013 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:38 pm

The hermits came from PetSmart and they didn't say the type but I believe they are purple Pinchers...have strong purple claw as fades away moving towards body

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 pm

I also don't know how to post pics here, please help

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Please help me asap! I bought these from Delaware when I visited there 2-3weeks ago. Wanted to bring a pice of home here to Kentucky. I'm very worried maybe I'm not doing something right!! :(

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat May 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Read the care sheets. There is a lot to know. Read through all the links.
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:47 pm

I need a little more help than that. Thanks for reply tho

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Would like to know what people are using as heat lights/bulbs etc.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Some people use lamps but I think they dry up the humidity. I also use the Ultratherm heating pad, purchased from either beanfarm.com or reptilebasics.com. it needs to cover the entire back of tank from the top of the substrate to top of tank. Is your lid sealed?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:33 pm

I use a heat mat from amazon. I ordered the biggest size to put on the back of the tank.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 11, 2019 6:24 pm

If you need help right away, Xeno was correct that you should read through the Care Sheets. The answers to your heating and lighting questions can be found there.
I don't know if anyone has a 'permanent' pool. Many of us use the Tupperware/ Rubbermaid type containers because they are practical. You can take them out to change water, and they are easy to remove and clean. Crabs will put substrate into the pools, and they need to be cleaned and the water replaced often. As your crabs grow, you will need to add more substrate, which is far easier if you can take things out of your tank. And when you add other items to the tank, moveable pools/ bowls allow for easy re-decorating.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 am

Tank came with screen lid but I used aluminum foil and bought the reptile bulb from Walmart. It has helped alot with temps but worsened the humidity levels. So I spray more. Friday I will definitely look into a larger uth for more heat and get rid of the light. Been reading about live moss will help alot with holding humidity so might try this as well. Thank you all for the replies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 am

What are you using for substrate?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 am

Here is everything related to heating and lights. It is very detailed and should help with you questions.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 43#p852646

To really help with holding in humidity I highly suggest purchasing a glass lid. It holds humidity and heat better than a screen top with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.

As far as permanent pools you would need to use aquarium sealant in order to seal the edges. I believe if you use plexiglass eventually it leaks and will cause the substrate to flood possibly killing any crabs that may be molting. Also for as dirty as the water gets you would have to monitor the pH levels and add some sort of filtration.

Most crabbers just go with plastic containers because it is much easier to pull them out, clean, and refill with water every few days.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed May 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Here is everything related to heating and lights. It is very detailed and should help with you questions.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 43#p852646

As far as permanent pools you would need to use aquarium sealant in order to seal the edges. I believe if you use plexiglass eventually it leaks and will cause the substrate to flood possibly killing any crabs that may be molting. Also for as dirty as the water gets you would have to monitor the pH levels and add some sort of filtration.

Most crabbers just go with plastic containers because it is much easier to pull them out, clean, and refill with water every few days.
If you really really want to do a permanent pool, you need to have enough equipment for a fish tank along with something to ensure the good bacteria stays alive.

If you do get all that equipment, you have a high risk of flooding which can drown your crabs, or leave them in a really really bad shape, then you need to restart your tat from ground up. The system only benefits you (not the crabs) so water changes are lower maintenance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am

Yea I've decided to do the containers instead. Don't wanna kill my babies. But am looking into something that looks a little better than a couple Tupperware containers in my tank.
Have seen some tubs that look as they were made out of rock about size of Tupperware just not sure where I can find these