New Ultratherm--Potential Placement Issue?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabberWill

New Ultratherm--Potential Placement Issue?

Post by CrabberWill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm

I live in an area where a heat source for my crabitat isn't particularly necessary during the summer, but with autumn fast approaching and the nights and early mornings getting colder by the week, I've ordered an Ultratherm that's set to arrive within the next few days. Between the way that my crabs' enclosure is set up and the heat pad sizes that were available, what I'm going to end up with is a pad that goes from the very top of the enclosure to about an inch below the substrate line.

I know that this in itself isn't too much of an issue--I might have to work a little harder to keep the substrate moist in that area, but I can deal with that. My question is this: I currently have a crab who's been down for about two and a half weeks, and I'm reasonably certain that he's closer to the rear of the 'tat than he is to the front. Could adding the heat pad under these circumstances cause any deleterious effects to the buried crab, or would I likely be all right putting it on upon its arrival rather than waiting for my presumed molter to come back up?

Cottman26

Re: New Ultratherm--Potential Placement Issue?

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Mine mostly dig right in front of the uth so id say its fine to place it right away. If you are worried just flip the tank around and place it on the other side, assuming the furniture wont need repositioned like mine would.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 pm

You will have to be very careful not to spray or slosh water on the glass where the UTH is; that could cause the glass to crack. It would be better to just lower the substrate level right in front of the UTH, so you have an inch or so less depth right there, and then just slope it up to the deeper level for the rest of the tank.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Please don't move the tank with any buried crabs. You can collapse tunnels and caves and they can suffocate. Putting the uth on the back, overlapping the substrate an inch will be fine. Especially if the crab is molting. He's probably much deeper than an inch.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabberWill

Post by CrabberWill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Please don't move the tank with any buried crabs. You can collapse tunnels and caves and they can suffocate.
I have no plans to move the enclosure, partly because it's in a good spot already and partly because of the reason that you specified. This is that particular crab's first molt under my care, so I'm feeling a bit like a mother hen--I've even been more gentle than usual when I open and close the lid to swap out their food. I get where Cottman26 is coming from, but rest assured that my 'tat is staying put.

Thanks for the reassurance. I know that he's all but certainly deeper than an inch below the surface, but I wasn't sure how much the warmth will spread through the sub over time (even with the relatively minor overlap that I'll end up having), and I don't want to end up shocking his system if he finds himself in suddenly warmer surroundings while he's down there.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 pm

I often plug and unplug my various heaters when I have a crab under. Because my house varies greatly in temp, I have four UTH's, one on each side and two on the back. Two of them do go an inch or so under the sub level. I have never found that there were any problems with the buried crab9s), once they came up.

I have also often added water to the sub, right where it meets the tank, where the heaters are. I have never had any trouble with the glass - have you heard of anyone who actually had their glass crack, or is it just in theory it could cause it?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am

I'm always cautious turning pads on and off with any that are buried. They chose their location partially based on temp and if they are at the wrong point of molting then they won't be able to up and move away if it's something they can't handle.

That said, the heat doesn't penetrate too far into a sand base. A few inches, but it gives them temperature options while underground which is also important. So unless he's up against the glass it shouldn't be an issue.

I have pads that covers top to bottom, so all of my sand in the back is heated. I've never had any problems.

Curly, yes people have had tanks crack before, but it's a very specific set of conditions. Either the glass was already unstable due to flaws like bubbles and the pad was way too hot, or someone used cold water and it hit very hot glass. It's the temperature difference and thermal expansion which is the problem, not heating the substrates
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Ah, that makes sense. So with my little bit of room-temp water against a regular (or less than regular in the case of the Zoo Meds) temp heater, the chances are pretty low.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Yeah, I haven't done it with a tank yet. Have done it to many heat bulbs though!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram