I have a question for those with exotics...

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Hello,

I just adopted a large hermit crab from someone on craigslist. He has been kept in relatively good conditions except for the water pools were not even remotely big enough for his size. He seems quite healthy, active, and he does not appear to be very shy.

I was looking at him for a while last night, and I do not think that he is a purple pincher. I will post a couple pictures of him later to see what you guys think about his species, but I was wondering if anyone with exotics could post or direct me to posts with good pictures of the eye stalks, claws, and anything of importance in determining their species. I spent all night looking on my own and have not had as much luck with it.
Basically, this guy is a dark redish-purple all over, his feelers and antenne are all black, he has black bumps throughout, and he is very hairy. I have not been able to get a really good look at his smaller claw in relation to his large claw, but it appears that his large claw is quite noticeably big; which kind of makes me think that he is an Indo, but I really have no experience with them. His eyes seem a little bit different than my PP's. Also, he does not appear to have any orange markings anywhere. I've also had a little bit of trouble trying to determine if he has any stitch markings on his claw (s).

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Ashley
Last edited by Rebecca C on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

hermitcrabdc

Re: I have a question for those with exotics...

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm

This is all can think of to help you
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/species.jpg
Hope it helps :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Thank you very much. :) I was looking at that for a while last night too. I think I need to try to get these pictures of him up so that it helps you guys out.
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:07 pm

PP eyes are more comma shaped , , where Indo eyes are round o o

I look forward to pics. :D

Topic author
Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm sorry for the terrible quality of the pictures; it is very hard to resize them and have them not be blurry. :(

I'm trying to see if I can make them larger; I was able to a bit with the last one, but it is a bit blurry still.
~Ashley

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Very beautiful PP. :)

Topic author
Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Really, he's a PP? I was just concerned that he might need some extra care than my PP's and E's. I guess they really change a lot as they age! I have always gotten the tiniest ones I can find, so I suppose I wouldn't know....my largest one, before this guy, is just getting into the medium range. I definitely love this new guy's coloring. And thank you for the help. :D
~Ashley

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:19 am

His coloration is spectacular for a PP. :D They can range a lot in color when the get larger, but it's a little rarer to have one that vibrant.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:51 am

Awe! How beautiful! He looks like such a big healthy guy!
He's gotta be in his teens minimum Id guess to be that big. Guesstimating off my large, anyway.
From what I'd guess through is if he was raised from a small-medium or tinier, they're very docile sweethearts when they get to be that big. So don't let his size intimidate you.
Especially if he was handled properly!

His coloring is GORGEOUS! Congrats!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Topic author
Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Wodesorel,
Thank you, and I agree his coloration is beautiful. His previous owner let me know that he came up from his last molt in July. He has been living alone for a while, and she has had him for a few years.

Drake,
Thank you, and he is definitely big enough for him to be in his teens, and he is relatively gentle. I am still a little concerned with him being in the tank with my tiny-smalls, though. Last night, when I was watching them, my new guy was walking all over the smaller ones, it was almost like he was even grasping onto one of them, but soon let go; I think that was a complete accident. Also, when he walked over my E, I discovered that my E makes an incredibly adorable noise, I guess when he feels threatened. He was in no real danger.

The only problem I currently see with him, though, is that he knocked down or ripped off my temperature gauge and then I found him grasping onto the acurite humidity/temperature gauge; I think he was trying to pull that one down...but thanks to the tape, I have holding it up, he couldn't. :)
~Ashley

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Rebecca C wrote:
Drake,
Thank you, and he is definitely big enough for him to be in his teens, and he is relatively gentle. I am still a little concerned with him being in the tank with my tiny-smalls, though. Last night, when I was watching them, my new guy was walking all over the smaller ones, it was almost like he was even grasping onto one of them, but soon let go; I think that was a complete accident. Also, when he walked over my E, I discovered that my E makes an incredibly adorable noise, I guess when he feels threatened. He was in no real danger.

The only problem I currently see with him, though, is that he knocked down or ripped off my temperature gauge and then I found him grasping onto the acurite humidity/temperature gauge; I think he was trying to pull that one down...but thanks to the tape, I have holding it up, he couldn't. :)
I read somewhere around here that the only real issue with crabs that size and smalls is that they can accidentally injure the tiny ones when walking over them -- it's not intentional because I can't see them wanting to take the shells the babies are in much less picking a fight with little ones. ( I know your conditions are great so l wouldn't worry ) just make sure he's not able to break any limbs by accident. ( ie falling on them or walking over them )

My large loves to climb and will use ANYTHING to climb up onto the mesh netting of the screen top. He's also something of a texturephile, he's fascinated by the way different things feel. He was probably just curious.
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**