(Just out of curiosity) Handling Hermies?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Re: (Just out of curiosity) Handling Hermies?

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Haha okay!

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Snickers wrote: Interesting! My crabs will crawl right onto my hand if I put it on the sand gently. :lol: It actually gets annoying when I try to spot clean.
Oh my gosh! That's so cute!! Do you ever hand feed them?
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

dinky

Post by dinky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:37 pm

I have my large crabs come to the top of the tank when I tap. I have spoon fed them, also when they come up I lift the glass and they crawl right out on me. However, my opinion on handling crabs is let the crab decide. I have a lot of crabs and only a couple that is this friendly, they each have their own personality. I have one big one wearing a 1 1/2 in. shell that is hardly ever seen and has always been this way no matter how much time I spend talking to him, I have 2 others 1 the same size and one a little larger that love attention.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Topic author
kadynadair16

(Just out of curiosity) Handling Hermies?

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:35 pm

How long do you tap for dinky??? I've tried it on my crabs and it's like they ignore it.
Last edited by kadynadair16 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm

I rarely handle mine, except for ID, checking for molting signs, and cleaning. Hobbles is the only one that seems to like being handled, most are just neutral about it. I tend to avoid picking up Heisenberg though, he's pinched the palm of my hand for over 2 minutes before xP
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm

ViiT wrote:I rarely handle mine, except for ID, checking for molting signs, and cleaning. Hobbles is the only one that seems to like being handled, most are just neutral about it. I tend to avoid picking up Heisenberg though, he's pinched the palm of my hand for over 2 minutes before xP

Yikes!!! I've only been pinched once and it was only for a second because sebastian felt like he was going to fall even though I have him firm in my hand

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:21 pm

kadynadair16 wrote:
Yikes!!! I've only been pinched once and it was only for a second because sebastian felt like he was going to fall even though I have him firm in my hand
Thankfully, I stayed calm and remembered what I read about placing your hand on a flat surface. Even though it took awhile, I'm glad I didn't try to pull him off :p
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Yea that was smart. ViiT

Snickers

Post by Snickers » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Drakezilla wrote: Oh my gosh! That's so cute!! Do you ever hand feed them?
Occasionally. Only when I give them bits of honey and sometimes shrimp. They just... like to be handled, lol idk. I haven't been pinched for a good year or so, so im not really afraid of that... :lol:
Crabby mom since '11
Snickers, Cleodora, Areo, Caramilk, Turbo, Turbulence, Eyowen, Smarties, Thor, Loki, Odin, Bilbo, Biggie, Alvin, Tiger, Juliette, Rascal and Bermuda!

dinky

Post by dinky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 pm

kadynadair16 wrote:How long do you tap for dinky??? I've tried it on my crabs and it's like they ignore it. Image
I just continually do it, usually I see a difference after a week or so, but don't give up.....also keep your voice at the same tone, it really has worked even on my Violas and my crabs seem to settle down quicker after they molt (my crabs are so squirrely after a molt and act like they don't know me) I have one pp tat in my living room that hasn't responded as well as the other tanks in my crab room, but I don't spend as much time with them as they come out late. My daughter in law does the same thing to her crabs and she says it makes a difference.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:36 pm

dinky wrote: I just continually do it, usually I see a difference after a week or so, but don't give up.....also keep your voice at the same tone, it really has worked even on my Violas and my crabs seem to settle down quicker after they molt (my crabs are so squirrely after a molt and act like they don't know me) I have one pp tat in my living room that hasn't responded as well as the other tanks in my crab room, but I don't spend as much time with them as they come out late. My daughter in law does the same thing to her crabs and she says it makes a difference.
Ditto what Dinky said. Tapping while talking to the crabs has made a big difference in their level of skittishness: much, much calmer when I'm near the tank. Of course, once the new 29g is fully operational and the guys have been moved over from the 10g, all that may change as the new tank is in a more open area and they will see me at a different angle: the 10g is situated so all they really see is my upper body; with the 29g set-up on an aquarium stand, they'll see how big the Pink Creature really is :lol:.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Ha okay thnx guys!!

dinky

Post by dinky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Sometimes while setting and watching them I just talk to them....stupid stuff, like "so how do you like your dinner" or "you sure look good tonight" and I think they just get use to me being there. The more time by the tank talking the better. Even if it's only 5 min. here and there, be consistent. Putting rolly pollies in helps, I could set for hours just watching them and the crabs.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 pm

dinky wrote:Sometimes while setting and watching them I just talk to them....stupid stuff, like "so how do you like your dinner" or "you sure look good tonight" and I think they just get use to me being there. The more time by the tank talking the better. Even if it's only 5 min. here and there, be consistent. Putting rolly pollies in helps, I could set for hours just watching them and the crabs.
Thanks! I will get right on that!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:53 pm

dinky wrote:Sometimes while setting and watching them I just talk to them....stupid stuff, like "so how do you like your dinner" or "you sure look good tonight" and I think they just get use to me being there. The more time by the tank talking the better. Even if it's only 5 min. here and there, be consistent. Putting rolly pollies in helps, I could set for hours just watching them and the crabs.
I talk to mine too. My husband thinks I've lost it. Funny thing about that, I think I was already nuts when I met him. Image
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above