Flooring being redone! What to do with tank?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Hey guys!
So tomorrow, til God knows how long, the flooring in my kitchen is being restained. Unfortunately it's down the hall from the crab room and the new tanks. I'm going to move my jumbo out into a tote because there's no way the sand can be lifted out of his current tank. I'm moving all the crabs to the back room of the house where we're using a room as the "kitchen" -- it's a disaster.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any tips on moving tanks/ protecting them from fumes? Should I try to lift the old 25 and let him stay in there or is the storage bin a better idea? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Flooring being redone! What to do with tank?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:38 pm

For moving tanks, it often better to move them while empty. Even though you can move them while filled with sand; I really suggest against it. There's a high chance that the tank will crack or the silicone will split. Is there a way you can put all your crabs in a tote for a little while?
~~~~
Is there a way you can close doors between the tank and the room you're working in? If possible, i suggest you do that; shove a few towels in the crack(s) and maybe open some windows in the room where they crabs will be in.
Maybe for some extra protection, cover the tank with some towels too?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:06 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:For moving tanks, it often better to move them while empty. Even though you can move them while filled with sand; I really suggest against it. There's a high chance that the tank will crack or the silicone will split. Is there a way you can put all your crabs in a tote for a little while?
~~~~
Is there a way you can close doors between the tank and the room you're working in? If possible, i suggest you do that; shove a few towels in the crack(s) and maybe open some windows in the room where they crabs will be in.
Maybe for some extra protection, cover the tank with some towels too?
The whole downstairs is an open floor plan, so minus the bathroom and laundry room there are no doors. I'm thinking I'll just cover the new empty tank with some towels, and he will go in a tote on the other side of the house. It wont hurt him to be in one for like a week, right? He's all molted so it'll be okay. If need be, I'll check the weather and he can play outside it.
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm assuming fumes and dust are involved. Think absorption vs absorption barrier. Towels will absorb the fumes and make a sponge. If you can get all crabs out of the tank, seal it as in air proof.
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Theyre sanding the floors, then putting down a water based stain, so my mom thinks that there may not be fumes, just dust from the sander. If I cover the tank with plastic wrap and towels, it's only going to last for a week, he will be okay or should I just move him in the tote?
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Are they sealing the floor after the stain is applied? Usually that will be polyurethane and that won't be good for Drake....
But water or oil based stains can still have bad additives. Are your parents doing it or is a contractor? Can you get the manufacture of the stain and name and I can look up the MSDS sheet on it?
Last edited by singlemomwithcrab on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50 PPs, 1 E

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:14 pm

I'd move him if at all possible. We had our floors done before we moved in and we went with oil based and the house stunk (headache inducing) for months. I'm sure it won't be as bad with water based, but it's still a lot of surface area and it'll take time for the smell to dissipate. Try to cut that room off from the rest of the house as much as possible. Use fans if you can to pull fresh air across the room they are in so that the fumes won't backtrack to where they are.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:16 pm

One more question - what are your temps down there right now? Are you far enough south that you can open up the house and still maintain heat for the crabs?
50 PPs, 1 E