Strawberry crab help

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Melissa21

Strawberry crab help

Post by Melissa21 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi, I just ordered 2 strawberry crabs yesterday and want to be certain I am prepared for their arrival in the next week or 2.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with sand and ee mix. I have a UVB light also. Currently only 9 inches of sub but I can add more if needed slowly as I do have 1 crab down right now. My salt water pool is about 2-3 inches deep for them but I did buy new tupperware today so it will be a bit more deeper and bigger once they arrive.

I currently have 5 crabs in my 40 gallon. Smallest being a micro and largest is in a 1.25 shell opening. I am assuming putting all 7 would be over crowded? I do have a 20 tall I can set up I have plenty of extra supplies including an utlratherm, small zoo med heat pad, extra cholla, shells, etc..

And that is where one big question comes up.. do I put the strawberries in the 20 tall when I first get them? Or do I put 2-3 of my other crabs in it?

Do I bath the strawberries when I first get them to be sure they don't have mites? I've seen some bath and they foamed up and died. So i am kind of worried. I do use Prime water dechlorinator and instant ocean with tap water.

My temps are usually at 81-84 today it got to 88 is that too high? It was definitely warmer out I have a large zoo med I can unplug and still have my ultratherm on. My humidity is 82-90.

megmaholm

Re: Strawberry crab help

Post by megmaholm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi! It sounds like your setup in the 40 is good - 88 is fine for temp, especially for exotics, as long as they have cooler spots to go to.

I don't think 7 is very overcrowded, especially if most of your crabs are small, but if you're worried you can move a couple to the 20. Put the straws in the 40; they need a lot of space.

You can give them a bath if you're concerned about mites. It can be stressful, but if you think there's a chance they might have them then you don't want to risk introducing them to your other crabs.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Is there any other way I can tell if they have mites rather than a bath? I have absolutely no experience with this just read about it.

If they don't have mites then I shouldn't need to give them a bath right?

I did order from Reptile City.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:14 am

I have no experience with mites personally, but from what I understand they'll be visible on the crab. There are 2 different kinds - 1 is more active and you'll see them running around on the crab and hanging out in the joints or on the eye stalks. The other kind likes to be on the soft parts, like the mouth or eye, and they are much more stationary. I believe the 2nd kind is more common on Straws.

So! That being said, any new crab going into a tank should have a quick bath in dechlorinated freshwater. Just a quick dip is fine, and you can take the opportunity to check them over - mites are small but visible.

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 67&t=92530 That's our official article on all different kinds of mites. Scroll down to the crab mites section for pics and descriptions, as well as treatment options :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks! That wa very helpful!