New (ish) crab owner w/ a few questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Re: New (ish) crab owner w/ a few questions

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:59 pm

2 molters popped up tonight! One is from my first set of 3 and the other is a new one but he switched shells before I saw him so idk who he is neither was pleased about their quick freshwater baths but ah well lol

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs

Nia

Post by Nia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:55 am

:cheer: Congrats!
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Ok so...I'll be upgrading to a 40 gallon tank this coming week and am hoping for a little help with sub. The tank is 36"L x 18"W and I want to do 8"-9" of sub for now (my crabs are still relatively small). How many bags of sand should I get? I'm in a relatively small apartment so having a lot of extra sand lying around would suck.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 6 crabs

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Are you using straight sand for this one, or mixing with ee? Straight sand I am not sure, but if you're mixing, I would say three bags of sand and two to three bricks of ee. I used three of each in my 55 and have about eight inches; the 55 is 12 inches longer than your 40. My mix was closer to 4:1 than the 5:1 which seems pretty popular, so it depends how you like it. Plus, I still plan to add more, because it will settle some.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:50 am

I'm going to go with a blend of sand and EE since that seems to be the most recommended sub. I've got EE only now and don't love it. Thanks for the help...that at least gives me a gauge for when I hit the Home Depot tomorrow

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 am

No problem. And you may already know, but just in case you don't, the playsand you want will be found inside in the construction materials section next to the concrete mixes. :)

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Perfect! I'll be headed there soon and the less time spent in Home Depot the better

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Lol... Best of luck. I have the opposite problem, I can be perfectly happy wasting a couple of hours in there...