Help Request Form, NOT AN EMERGENCY.

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Allyb01

Help Request Form, NOT AN EMERGENCY.

Post by Allyb01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:10 am

Hello, I have posted this to the new owner section in hope of getting some helpful (and kind!) criticism. :)

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
A: I am using sand. Not the hermit crab sand t hat I have been warned off. Mine is a,, natural and has bits of shells in it for calcium.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
A: No, I don't have gauges in the tank right now. I do plan on getting some in the near future. Do you have any suggestions which one to buy? Nothing expensive please!
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A: yes a heat bulb.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
A: fresh bottled water is used. There is no added minerals and metals in it. Salt water from the ocean is used.
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
A: I am using hermit crab food for now. I plan on adding some fresh veggies and fruits and definitely zucchini. I have a zucchini plant growing in the backyard.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
A: I have my had my 3 crabs for 4 days. Two of those days were transporting them. They are purple pinchers.
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
A: I currently have two crabs under ground. One I sometimes hear moving. The other has been silent underground since it went under (about a day ago). I have one above ground who hasn't moved to eat or do anything in a day. :,(
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A: They are in a 10 gallon tank and the lid is a flip closed lid.
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
A: There are 3 crabs in the tank. I have a smaller one about 1.5". Two big ones 2"- 2.5".
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
A: 7

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
A: No.
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
A: I plan on cleaning it every week by using water and vinegar.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
A: No. I do have sponges though but they are not in the tank. This is a very controversial subject about whether or not to put them in the crabitat. What are your suggestions?
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
A: No. But, I do plan on making a hut for them today and a net they can climb on.
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
A: No not really.
16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
A: This isn't really an emergency but I was concerned about two of my crabs. One that is under the sand and not moving (one of my bigger ones) and my small one that is above ground and hasn't moved all day. Even at night. Also, what should I use to increase the humidity?

Thanks so much! Sorry about the wacky format. The iPad wasn't cooperating.

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Help Request Form, NOT AN EMERGENCY.

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 am

1. A minimum of 6 inches or 3x the height of your biggest crab is necessary for safe molting. Moistened fo sandcastle consistency. 2. Gauges are eccential since crabs need a minimum of 75F and 75% humidity. A lot of us ue this one.http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Di ... ype=search 4. Ocean water is NOT recommended. There is possible pollution, it is often illegal to take it and you never know what is truly in it healthwise. All water should be dechlorinated. Bottled will work if you are only using it. API stress coat is a popular dechlorinator as is prime. Saltwater needs to be marine grade. Instant ocean is a salt mix many of us use for it. Petco always has it cheaper than petsmart. http://m.petco.com/product/5694/Instant ... -Salt.aspx. 5 as soon as you can phase out the pellets you probably want to. almost all of them have stuff in them that aren't great for them. Plus it is cheaper. You can feed them right off your plate! Fresh fruits and vegetables, cooked or raw unseasoned meats, a lot of things. 7 most crabs need to destress after their journey to you. The ones that dug down could be doing that or getting ready to molt, or just hanging out. Crabs like to dig. It's just what they do. 16. Humidity is always a battle. Moss pits are great for that, pool bubbles and of course misting. With misting be careful not to overdo it. You can cause a flood in the tank which in my experience is deadly. Many use humidifiers by using hoses to pump the mist into the tank. Again watch for floods. Any other questions?. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 am

Also, to expand on what Kelly said: When you say all natural sand are you saying it is a silica based sand? Did you collect it from the beach or purchase it? Any calcium based sand will harden around crabs and trap them as well as sticking to crabs and drawing moisture out of their bodies.
They need to have protein and calcium sources daily in addition to veggies/fruits.
Minimum temps of 80°F and humidity in low 80's is where you will see more activity out of your crabs.
You do not need to clean your tank weekly or remove substrate for any reason unless you have a bacterial bloom or flood. Beneficial bacteria builds up and aids in breaking down wastes. Surface cleaning such as wiping down glass, changing water daily to every 3 days (deep pools), throwing out moldy or decayed food is all that is necessary.
The priority concerns for your tat are water and heat/humidity and food right now, get those taken care of and you can worry about the rest as you go along.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 am

I forgot to mention the cleaning! Thanks for catching that!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:23 am

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:1. A minimum of 6 inches or 3x the height of your biggest crab is necessary for safe molting. Moistened fo sandcastle consistency. 2. Gauges are eccential since crabs need a minimum of 75F and 75% humidity. A lot of us ue this one.http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Di ... ype=search 4. Ocean water is NOT recommended. There is possible pollution, it is often illegal to take it and you never know what is truly in it healthwise. All water should be dechlorinated. Bottled will work if you are only using it. API stress coat is a popular dechlorinator as is prime. Saltwater needs to be marine grade. Instant ocean is a salt mix many of us use for it. Petco always has it cheaper than petsmart. http://m.petco.com/product/5694/Instant ... -Salt.aspx. 5 as soon as you can phase out the pellets you probably want to. almost all of them have stuff in them that aren't great for them. Plus it is cheaper. You can feed them right off your plate! Fresh fruits and vegetables, cooked or raw unseasoned meats, a lot of things. 7 most crabs need to destress after their journey to you. The ones that dug down could be doing that or getting ready to molt, or just hanging out. Crabs like to dig. It's just what they do. 16. Humidity is always a battle. Moss pits are great for that, pool bubbles and of course misting. With misting be careful not to overdo it. You can cause a flood in the tank which in my experience is deadly. Many use humidifiers by using hoses to pump the mist into the tank. Again watch for floods. Any other questions?. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk Also, to expand on what Kelly said: When you say all natural sand are you saying it is a silica based sand? Did you collect it from the beach or purchase it? Any calcium based sand will harden around crabs and trap them as well as sticking to crabs and drawing moisture out of their bodies.
They need to have protein and calcium sources daily in addition to veggies/fruits.
Minimum temps of 80°F and humidity in low 80's is where you will see more activity out of your crabs.
You do not need to clean your tank weekly or remove substrate for any reason unless you have a bacterial bloom or flood. Beneficial bacteria builds up and aids in breaking down wastes. Surface cleaning such as wiping down glass, changing water daily to every 3 days (deep pools), throwing out moldy or decayed food is all that is necessary.
The priority concerns for your tat are water and heat/humidity and food right now, get those taken care of and you can worry about the rest as you go along.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
soilentgringa

Thank you guys! I just changed the pellets out and now there is a piece of banana. :D the sand I'm using is from the beach to answer your question.

Topic author
Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:33 am

I have one more question, should I have sponges in the water bowls or no? My smallest crab can get out of it without it.

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Sponges generally are not needed, especially if you know your littlest crab can cope without. The problem with sponges is they can get full of bacteria very quickly, and need to be sanitized daily (not just rinsed). Most people consider the amount of effort needed to keep them safe not worth it considering how little benefit they actually provide.

Topic author
Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Kleinerhejhog wrote:Sponges generally are not needed, especially if you know your littlest crab can cope without. The problem with sponges is they can get full of bacteria very quickly, and need to be sanitized daily (not just rinsed). Most people consider the amount of effort needed to keep them safe not worth it considering how little benefit they actually provide.

Ok thank you! That's what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk