Help identify species?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
OBXPair

Help identify species?

Post by OBXPair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:57 pm

At first I thought I had an Ecuadorian and a Purple Pincher. Then it turned out my supposed Eccie was a PP, so I thought I had two PPs. Now someone has suggested Jeff (the one on the left) is actually a Viola. What do y'all think?

BTW they've switched to unpainted shells now, but this is the clearest picture I have of both of them.

“Know that the same spark of life that is within you, is within all of our animal friends; the desire to live is the same within all of us." ― Rai Aren, Secret of the Sands

Matt

Re: Help identify species?

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 pm

Looks to be 2 purple pinchers.
2 Purple Pinchers and 2 Ecuadorians in a 20g long.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Yep. Two pretty PPs. :)

Topic author
OBXPair

Post by OBXPair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks! Interesting (to a newbie like me) that there can be such variation in color. Actually, their color has deepened since we got them, which makes me think they might have been missing some essential element in their diets... :( They also seem to have grown. Is that possible in just 3-4 weeks? How big are they going to get? :shock:
“Know that the same spark of life that is within you, is within all of our animal friends; the desire to live is the same within all of us." ― Rai Aren, Secret of the Sands

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Hermit crabs grow by molting so unless they molted they are the same size as they were before. :) they seem to top out around softball sized.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:32 pm

If they changed shells recently it can really change how you view their sizes too. Making them appear larger or smaller, though they're the same size. As Kelly said, growing comes with molts. :)

Topic author
OBXPair

Post by OBXPair » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:49 am

Well, yeah. Duh. If I'd've thought for half a second... :oops: :hlol: I guess they look bigger because they switched to bigger shells. Not being cramped, they're freer to slip partway out and rare up, then slide back in at will. So I'm seeing them more often...and more of them.