Crab Identification

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Lennyk162

Crab Identification

Post by Lennyk162 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:30 am

So this may sound like a weird question, but does anyone have advice on how to ID crabs? I just got 4 all within a short time frame and they are all relatively the same size. Everything was easy, until they started changing shells. Now I'm at a loss at who is who since two changed shells this afternoon and now two are in identical green turbos. I'd really like to know which crab is which so I know who is down for a molt and how everyone is doing? So how do you guys keep track of your little ones?

CallaLily

Re: Crab Identification

Post by CallaLily » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:19 am

For me, some are easier to tell apart than others. Others I mix up until I check genders and compare to the other crabs or pictures. The ones that stand out usually have a big size difference or unique coloring or something about them that stands out. It helps to try to keep track of shell changes but as you've already found out, if a lot if them swap at once it's easy to lose track. Coloring and size of course can change with molts so that's not always a help, but some crabs will hold on to certain colors molt after molt. Just keep watching them. Over time it may become easier to spot the difference. They do have their own personalities and I swear, faces.

landlubber

Re: Crab Identification

Post by landlubber » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:30 pm

I agree with CallaLilly. Pictures help me a lot. Then I can note a distinguishing feature about each crab. I actually keep individual files on crabs with a picture and some general information and this distinguishing feature is part of that general information. Right now of two of my E twins one is missing a leg-that distinguishing feature makes it easy. Two of my other twins, Barge and Slipknot are different because Barge is slightly larger and has a more reddish color than Slipknot, but as CallaLilly said it's their personalities that allow me to tell at a glance. Barge is very shy, flinches easily, quickly turns tail if he sees me-while Slipknot is the exact opposite-my most friendly crab and the only one who appears to actually ENJOY rather than tolerate and ignore me at best. So I can tell in seconds by their behavior and mannerisms also. It takes some effort and practice sometimes, but you can get good at IDing all those twins over time.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa