No Sounds At All

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
melina

No Sounds At All

Post by melina » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 pm

My crabs don't make any sounds at all. I've had them since August and have never heard a thing, even late at night. Is this normal?

AutumnHermie

Re: No Sounds At All

Post by AutumnHermie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Not sounds is actually good! The most common reason a crab chirps is to signal a fight, or if it is stressed or intimidated.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:07 am

Do you mean sounds from activity like clunking about? If so, have you seen them out and about recently day or night?

Twelve PP hermit babies
-

Topic author
melina

Post by melina » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 am

No I mean clicks/chirps. They definitely clunk around! :) thanks for the help guys, good to know no sounds is a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cewilson1006

Post by cewilson1006 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:51 pm

I flipped on the overhead light in the room where the tank is once and got a very loud, disgruntled chirp from Comet, my most social/active crab. He basically yelled "Hey! Turn out the lights!". I flipped the light back off and laughed to myself for a good 5 minutes that I'd basically been told off by a crab. :lol:

If you hold their shell close to your ear when you pick them up and they've clammed up, you can usually hear a gritty sort of complaining which is what happens when I have to relocate Hermie, my grump, for tank cleanings.

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:08 pm

I've never heard by current batch make any sound. Had them for 2 ish years. Our first two chirped a few times. Probably because I had no idea what I was doing, so I was a bad caretaker back then. Even though it's not something to celebrate, It's always cool to hear them chirp anyways :roll:
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:54 pm

3 of mine, i adopted from a friend who said they Chirped ALL THE TIME. She even sent me recordings of them, but as soon as i added them to my tank, they never made a peep. I've never heard a crab chirp in real life.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

Candie

Post by Candie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:16 pm

A few days after I brought a crab home he chirped once and that's was it, candie my other crab makes that grumpy gritty sound when ever I have to move her for somthing, other than that mine are quiet, guess that's good [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:25 pm

I've never heard any of my crabs chirp, i adopted 3 of them from a friend who showed video proof of them chirping all the time in her crabitat, but i've never heard them make a peep, i guess they are happier at my house lol

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:26 pm

oops sorry, didn't realize i already posted on this thread lol