29 Gallon Stocking

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
IMS

29 Gallon Stocking

Post by IMS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:50 am

Hello Everyone! Sorry if this isn't in the right spot.

Haven't been on in a while, but am glad to be back! Currently, I have a 29 gallon and 10 gallon tank. In the 29 gallon, I have 4 smalls and 3 medium PPs, and in the 10 gallon, I have a Large that is molting and a small that just came up. I thought I'd update and also ask a few questions.

Where do you guys get moss for a moss pit? I used to have one but the moss got spread out and couldn't be salvageable.

Can you put a bubbler in a saltwater pool or only a freshwater pool?

How do you guys do the shell shop?

Best place to get shells?

And lastly, and you don't have to answer all the questions, is there any possibility that I could get 1-2 more crabs in total or am I at the limit?

Thanks everyone! I am so glad to be back on. I am open to any feedback and will upload pictures later. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Re: 29 Gallon Stocking

Post by Crabinski » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Hi, IMS! Glad to provide some info for you.

Re moss: an inexpensive source of moss is Home Depot's Garden Shop. This good-sized bag is only $4 and will last quite a while:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mosser-Lee-4 ... /202301542

Re bubblers: they work equally well in FW and SW but the SW bubbler will need to be replaced more frequently due to clogging. This is not a big deal as small airstones run about $.50 each.

Re shell shops: I, too, have a 29g and have set up two shell shops: a suspended one made from a suction cup soap dish from Walmart for small shells for my little guy and another made from a plastic basket set atop another overturned basket (doors cut out to make a hide) on ground level for the larger shells for the other three crabs. Most crabbers choose to place the shells in some type of container to prevent the constant burial of shells set out right on the substrate. The picture below shows both the large and small shops in my 29g.

Re shell sources: as you still have a number of small crabs, check out craft shops (Jo-Ann, Michael's, Hobby Lobby) for bags of shells (at Jo-Ann, they're in the Floral department). These run around $6 and contain an assortment of wearable green turbos, babylonia and nice flat scallop shells for food serving. As the bags are mesh, it's easy to see the sizes and condition of the shells so look for a bag that'll give you the most usable assortment for your crabs. The Shopping Resources page (Navigator box on the Forum page) lists several reputable shell shops; Naples Sea Shells provides the size of the shell and the width of the opening so they're always a reliable source; MyGann on ebay is another vendor that comes highly recommended by HCA members.

Lastly, re the number of crabs: as I mentioned above, I have a 29g with only 4 crabs - 1 large, 2 medium, 1 small - and I seriously wouldn't add more. Given that you have 7 crabs, medium and small, in your 29g, you're really past capacity at this point. To accommodate all 9 of your crabs, keep an eye out for a used 40B or even a 55g on craigslist or try to pick up a new one the next time Petco has a $1-per-gallon tank sale.

Hope this helps :) .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:34 pm

I agree completely with Crabinski. With a 29g you get more height but the length x width is the same as a 20 gallon long.

Topic author
IMS

Post by IMS » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Sounds good! Thank you so much for the feedback! I am interested in the moss pit especially!

Topic author
IMS

Post by IMS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to update and ask some questions. Due to space, I am not sure I will be able to get a 55 gallon tank. I have 9 crabs, and know that I am overstocked with a 29 and 10 gallon tank. They are mostly small, but 1 is borderline large. Is the only alternative adopting out some of my crabs? I found a 55 gallon tank with lights and stand for 100 dollars but unfortunately wasn't able to get it. Is it only a matter of time?

Topic author
IMS

Post by IMS » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 am

Hey everyone! When I wrote this, I was kind of anxious about my crabs so it got a little dark. I think I'll rephrase it and say, "I am on the lookout for a new 55 gallon really close to Milwaukee and I will update you with anything I find." If anyone on this site has a 55 gallon with stand and lights near Milwaukee for $100 or less, please let me know!