Temporary Crab Care?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
imabitcrabby

Temporary Crab Care?

Post by imabitcrabby » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:47 am

We're going to be picking up two crabs from a relative while we're on vacation in a couple of weeks (my cousin bought them on impulse and has lost interest - we said we'd take them in and are almost done setting up an appropriate crabitat at home). We'll have them for 2-3 days on vacation before coming home. Any ideas for appropriate temporary housing? They've been keeping him in one of those plastic kits that you can get in a souvenir shop. Is it okay to leave them in that for a few more days? Or what can I do to improve their situation before moving them to the big crabitat? Thanks, guys!

IMS08

Re: Temporary Crab Care?

Post by IMS08 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Hello @imabitcrabby I am happy to hear that you are taking in your cousins crabs! As far as temporary care goes, cross your fingers there's a pet store nearby, or bring some supplies along. I would recommend having fresh water, moisture from a spray bottle, a small freshwater and saltwater pool and some sort of layer of substrate in the tank (Sand or coconut fiber). Traveling will probably be a little bit hard on them. I had a critter carrier once and I didn't have my crabs longer than a week. I think it might be best to mimic the natural conditions especially when you are in a constantly changing environment like a car/plane. I'd say Heat, water and humidity are the most important for the ride! Again, thank you for taking your cousins crabs in! Hope this helps and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
imabitcrabby

Post by imabitcrabby » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Oh I do plan to bring down supplies to help them out! Do you think keeping them in a larger critter carrier okay for a few days? My 20 gallon is obviously too big to bring down, but I could pick up a smaller tank if that would be less likely to stress them out. We'll be driving, not flying, thankfully.

IMS08

Post by IMS08 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Awesome! Glad you are bringing materials, I wasn't sure. I would bring a 2.5 gallon aquarium. They are $15 with a glass lid at petsmart. The link is below.
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aquari ... m%3Dsearch
The dimensions are 6.25"L x 12.25"W x 8.25"H.

If you have a heating pad, an inch or 2 of substrate, (not enough to molt on vacation), food and fresh and salt water, I think that you will come home with happy and healthy crabs. Shells won't be a necessity but you can throw those in too. I think while a 2.5 gallon is only a foot long and 6 inches wide, it would be much better than a critter carrier because it will hold heat better. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
imabitcrabby

Post by imabitcrabby » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Thank you! That is just the info I needed. Any suggestions for heat? We'll be in the car for at least 6-7 hours with no way to plug in a uth. It won't be cold in the car, but closer to 70 than 80. Hand warmers taped on the back? Is that a terrible idea?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:48 pm

imabitcrabby wrote:Thank you! That is just the info I needed. Any suggestions for heat? We'll be in the car for at least 6-7 hours with no way to plug in a uth. It won't be cold in the car, but closer to 70 than 80. Hand warmers taped on the back? Is that a terrible idea?
You don't need a heater in the car as long as the temp doesn't fall below 70°F. You can wrap the kritter keeper in a towel as well to insulate. You'll want to wrap the kritter keeper lid in saran wrap to keep humidity in.
If it is only for a couple of days, the crabs will be alright in the carrier. Or you can go to Wal*Mart and get a small plastic tote. This is preferable to a glass tank that could break or crack if accidentally dropped or knocked on something.
All you need for them at the moment is a bottle of spring water, and some bits of food. If you have unsalted peanuts, unseasoned egg, bits of fruit, you can put some in with the crabs.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:00 pm

I brought one of our hermies to a school for educational purposes this past Spring when, of course, that one particular we were supposed to bring her, the outside temp dropped and became windy :shock: I have a 2.5 g tank I put her in but I think the idea of a plastic tote as mentioned above would have been a better idea because I felt like it was unstable while driving. Also, I have a large thermal tote with handles, so I put body warmers taped along the outside of the tank, then foil, then placed the whole thing in the thermal tote. Worked great ! I filled the tank half full with sub, a piece of cholla, a small plastic dish for fresh food, another for dried foods, and a couple of fresh water and MSW dishes. Also brought along with me a spray bottle with fresh water to intermittently humidify the tank. I couldn't fit an actual hideout in there due to limited space so I just got a few little fake plants to put around so she could hide under them . Soooooo great you are going to rescue those little guys!!! Wish you luck on your travels and hope they are healthy. Sounds like they are moving into a lovin home. :crabbigsmile: