Handling of hermit crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Mhysa92

Handling of hermit crabs

Post by Mhysa92 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 pm

I was wondering about the handling of our hermmies. I joined a page on Facebook hoping for some helpful information with research of some sort other than 'because the admin says so'. I posted a picture of one of my crabs in my hand and got told it is very harmful to the crabs to handle them. I asked for some sort of research but got none other than because they said. Some background on my crabs I have only 2 and have had them about 6 months. They seem happy and healthy so far. One did what I believe to be an emergency molt above ground after I brought him home. My second one molted shortly after and just came back above ground about a month ago. I don't hold them much, maybe 3-5 mins once or twice a week. I was wondering what everyone's opinions are and if there is any research or reasoning why I shouldn't hold them at all. Thank you all for your help and input :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Re: Handling of hermit crabs

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 am

Everyone has different opinions on this. Some people are more hands on than others. It depends on "personality" ofthe crab as well- not to humanize them. I personally choose not to hold my crabs unless necessary, I may or may not be scared of getting pinched, and I just feel like it stresses them out. Ie hyperactivity is a sign of their stress. But, there was a crabber that had her crabs for more years than anyone known and let them out to roam nightly. Though, she did take great care of them and love in a humid area. Ultimately, it's your choice. The risk of them being held is having the control to know what to do when you get pinched- because it will happen one time or another. Children, and even people with quick reflexes first reaction would be to fling or run the crab under chlorinated tap water, shake them off, etc. which could ultimately lead to a crabs injury, and it death. The proper thing to do is give them a level surface, and they often let go. They aren't agressive by nature, so usually pinching is defensive, unsteadiness or extreme hunger so it usually works. The mods are only trying to help, and they may come off harsh at times, but they've seen literally thousands of these poor creatures objectified, not saying you do at all, but after dealing with the same questions day in and day out, they tend to give the simplest and most easy to understand info, and least risk to the animal. They've rescued hundreds, and seen many deaths, as well as giving times to this site and keeping our forum running along with their personal lives. Many people aren't thoughtful with animals and they deal with That first hand. Also, as far as research goes there is little formal scientific knowledge based on the land hermit cran, but I guarantee this is the best place for info. That being said: What is right for some is not for others, if your crabs are healthy, and you're happy- no stress. :) Welcome the forum.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 pm

I almost never handle my crabs. They're a wild creature and they can't be "domesticated". Some seem to become used to people and probably even associate us with food, but they aren't like puppies that would become affectionate towards us.

Topic author
Mhysa92

Post by Mhysa92 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:Everyone has different opinions on this. Some people are more hands on than others. It depends on "personality" ofthe crab as well- not to humanize them. I personally choose not to hold my crabs unless necessary, I may or may not be scared of getting pinched, and I just feel like it stresses them out. Ie hyperactivity is a sign of their stress. But, there was a crabber that had her crabs for more years than anyone known and let them out to roam nightly. Though, she did take great care of them and love in a humid area. Ultimately, it's your choice. The risk of them being held is having the control to know what to do when you get pinched- because it will happen one time or another. Children, and even people with quick reflexes first reaction would be to fling or run the crab under chlorinated tap water, shake them off, etc. which could ultimately lead to a crabs injury, and it death. The proper thing to do is give them a level surface, and they often let go. They aren't agressive by nature, so usually pinching is defensive, unsteadiness or extreme hunger so it usually works. The mods are only trying to help, and they may come off harsh at times, but they've seen literally thousands of these poor creatures objectified, not saying you do at all, but after dealing with the same questions day in and day out, they tend to give the simplest and most easy to understand info, and least risk to the animal. They've rescued hundreds, and seen many deaths, as well as giving times to this site and keeping our forum running along with their personal lives. Many people aren't thoughtful with animals and they deal with That first hand. Also, as far as research goes there is little formal scientific knowledge based on the land hermit cran, but I guarantee this is the best place for info. That being said: What is right for some is not for others, if your crabs are healthy, and you're happy- no stress. :) Welcome the forum.

Thank you so much :) I haven't been pinched yet so I hope it can stay that way. If it does I'll just sit my hand back into the habitat. :) They were more getting onto me because of the crabs gills. That made me worry that I was hurting them by handling them at all. I've read alot and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. So I was just concerned.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:37 pm

soilentgringa wrote:I almost never handle my crabs. They're a wild creature and they can't be "domesticated". Some seem to become used to people and probably even associate us with food, but they aren't like puppies that would become affectionate towards us.
I agree the extent of the hermit crab side of the relationship is purely conditioning/ familiarity. I've discussed this with a friend that asked why I don't really play with mine, and it's they aren't something I want to cuddle. I find them fascinating, and at times they take interest in me, but that's as far as it really goes. A hermit crab will never love you. Lol that sounds really pessimistic and cold, but that's more of a mammal/ bird thing. They're crustaceans- need I say more? Lol I think that's why I love them, they don't care if I'm busy and ignore them. They go about their lives, no hurt feelings.

Last edited by Rawrgeous on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Mhysa92 wrote:
Rawrgeous wrote:Everyone has different opinions on this. Some people are more hands on than others. It depends on "personality" ofthe crab as well- not to humanize them. I personally choose not to hold my crabs unless necessary, I may or may not be scared of getting pinched, and I just feel like it stresses them out. Ie hyperactivity is a sign of their stress. But, there was a crabber that had her crabs for more years than anyone known and let them out to roam nightly. Though, she did take great care of them and love in a humid area. Ultimately, it's your choice. The risk of them being held is having the control to know what to do when you get pinched- because it will happen one time or another. Children, and even people with quick reflexes first reaction would be to fling or run the crab under chlorinated tap water, shake them off, etc. which could ultimately lead to a crabs injury, and it death. The proper thing to do is give them a level surface, and they often let go. They aren't agressive by nature, so usually pinching is defensive, unsteadiness or extreme hunger so it usually works. The mods are only trying to help, and they may come off harsh at times, but they've seen literally thousands of these poor creatures objectified, not saying you do at all, but after dealing with the same questions day in and day out, they tend to give the simplest and most easy to understand info, and least risk to the animal. They've rescued hundreds, and seen many deaths, as well as giving times to this site and keeping our forum running along with their personal lives. Many people aren't thoughtful with animals and they deal with That first hand. Also, as far as research goes there is little formal scientific knowledge based on the land hermit cran, but I guarantee this is the best place for info. That being said: What is right for some is not for others, if your crabs are healthy, and you're happy- no stress. :) Welcome the forum.

Thank you so much :) I haven't been pinched yet so I hope it can stay that way. If it does I'll just sit my hand back into the habitat. :) They were more getting onto me because of the crabs gills. That made me worry that I was hurting them by handling them at all. I've read alot and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. So I was just concerned.

Your are welcome. Like I said they mean best and it is a factor. If you live in a dry area it really could be an issue. I have not experimented with mine being out of the tank much longer than around 5 minutes, and it happens very infrequently, honestly only 3 or so times. Idk, it's easier for me to just not, they run when I'm in the tank anyhow. XD So, I can't really give advice beyond that. But, I don't think it would harm a healthy crab that had a sucessful underground molt if done in moderation. Best wishes!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Try your local library... Though I've heard some books even have false info. My advice, take in a much knowledge from every source and use your best judgment! Though I've never really been led wrong here. If i have a concern i make a post, take everyone's opinion into account and then make decisions! You can google specific questions though the majority of times it refers you back to this forum because its been a long documented and active forum for a very long time! There are crabbers on here that have has crabs a veeeerrryyyy long time!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:33 pm

A hermit crab will never love you. Lol that sounds really pessimistic and cold, but that's more of a mammal/ bird thing. They're crustaceans- need I say more? Lol I think that's why I love them, they don't care if I'm busy and ignore them. They go about their lives, no hurt feelings.

I tend to agree with this, even though I am guilty of anthropomorphizing them at times.

I think that we scare them and stress them out quite often. I believe that if we weren't having to handle our first two so often (had to redo their tanks, my apartment caught fire, had to move them all over the place till it was ready to move back into) then one of them wouldn't have dropped all it's limbs and died. It would have had a better chance had I placed it into a stable tat from the beginning and left it on it's own.

Or not, it could have died of PPS anyway.