How to pick a new rescue crab

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
JulieK0311

How to pick a new rescue crab

Post by JulieK0311 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:40 pm

We are currently at the beach in NC and the local beach shop is of course selling hermit crabs. After learning about the care that they require I'm so sad to see them in a big wire cage with no substrate, nowhere to dig or hide. All in painted shells. We would like to rescue 2 of these crabs (all appear to be purple punchers) the add to the 3 we currently have. Any suggestions on how to pick the healthiest ones? Anything we should be watching out for? I feel so bad for these guys knowing what they need to be happy. Any suggestions would be appreciated! We're leaving on Sunday so have a few more days to pick them up. Thanks!!

JDL_1104

Re: How to pick a new rescue crab

Post by JDL_1104 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:51 pm

I've read to pick on that is active and/or reactive to being picked up (although being handled can stress them, but if it's to be taken home it'll have to be done anyways). Also, they mentioned it should feel appropriately "heavy", basically not like an empty shell. Maybe antenna fluttering.

I'm still new to this (approximately a month in). I read something about what to look for *after* I purchased mine, of course. And the one that wasn't active at the store has been worrying me since day 3. She's still kickin' but has yet to molt.. and she refuses to give up her shell.

Post purchase syndrome can happen any time after purchase for I believe up to a year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Unfortunately, even if you do all you can sometimes the damage has already been done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:24 pm

I don't buy crabs anymore, but when I did in the past, I picked the ones that looked like lost causes.

Increased activity is a sign of distress, so a crab running around doesn't exactly indicate that it is in top form.

Crabs are at risk for PPS at the very least till they have molted once in your care.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

JDL_1104

Post by JDL_1104 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 pm

I guess you never know [FLUSHED FACE]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk