3 out of 4 new crabs "went under" within a few hours

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Tiffany

3 out of 4 new crabs "went under" within a few hours

Post by Tiffany » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello all! I did a ton of research thanks to all of you wonderful experts before getting my new little dudes! I got a 40 gal tank with 5/6 inches of sand/coconut fiber and have been making sure my new guys had plenty of places to hide, climb and I got wonderful ideas on my crabitat from you all. I even calibrated my temp and humidity gauges....all that stuff. So I made sure everything was as great as could be before I adopted them (give ups from the local carnival) and within 2 hours 3 of them were burying themselves and now they are under. They are all small/medium and seemed very active and their coloring was bright and pretty so I didn't think they needed to molt so soon? I know that size molts more often but since they'd only been here a couple of hours I'm a little concerned. The last one is knoshing on fresh food and seems happy as a lark. Should I worry? Any advice is much appreciated l!!!

Thanks so much :)
Tiff

KayedeeLove<3

Re: 3 out of 4 new crabs "went under" within a few hours

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm sure you've read about the harsh conditions they are in before we bring them home.... They dig down because they are destressing! This can be short or timely. Depends on the crab. It's best to leave them alone as much as possible (this is hard, we all worry)! Good Luck :)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks! I figured but can't help but worry. They were given to me in those horrible wire cages with a layer of gravel and a barely damp sponge. UGH!! The lady simply didn't know what her kid had "won" at the carnival. So, double stress for them. Yikes!...thanks for the response, I really needed some reassurance!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 am

Don't worry, Tiffany! They are probably just destressing while getting used to their new environment...especially if it's a much better environment than they had before. One way to know if a crab needs to molt is to look at its walking legs: are they hairy? are the tips black and sharp? If not, a molt is due. The fact that the 4th fella is chowing down could indicate that he is loading up before a molt so look at his legs for a further clue.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 am

Its a sad fate usually at a carnival unfortunately. They dont care as long as they get paid! Im so happy u found us :)

Topic author
Tiffany

4th crab under: how long can they hide without food?

Post by Tiffany » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm

That's the thing....the tips were sharp and they all looked so bright and beautiful so I was confused! I could understand one maybe two molting....the 1st two didn't seem as active but I figured they were freaked out and shy. They all explored at first, then 2 "caved it" then POOF they were gone! I got worried maybe they got stuck so I gently moved every branch, vine, cork, cave, everything. The other two were still exploring. Then the 3rd dug a very visible open tunnel and I can see him still. Now the 4th who was chomping on a buffet is gone now too?? I'm just going to continue to check. I can only assume they are traumatized. Plucked from paradise then brought to a traveling carnival then spent a week more with people who simply had no idea on how to care for them. So sad! Fingers crossed they will realize they are safe soon. How long can they hide under without eating if they aren't molting? Btw no hair....just shiny and beautiful bright! They are about the size of a quarter. Thanks SO MUCH for the info!!!

Topic author
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm so glad too! I had them years ago and all was well for 7 years until a neighbor gave me one her kid had gotten from the beach. They all ended up sick and they died within months! I tried everything! I felt absolutely terrible. It took me until now to make that commitment again! I was quite rusty and when I found you guys I learned SO much more. I was at our town carnival and I saw them and felt so sad for them! I knew there would be "give ups" soon if I put an ad on Craigslist so I lucked out and caught the "dollar a gallon" tank deal at petco and started building! I got a 40 gal plus a 10 gal for emergencies. Sure enough I got a response and got the four (the golden girls :wink: ). SO GLAD I FOUND YOU GUYS!!! Starting over is so scary because I know how delicate they are!! But, I simply love them! And definitely getting more rescues once they get more adjusted!!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Thats great, glad you didn't give up! Just remember they will grow huge! One of mine is baseball sized! They will grow into that tank quickly.

Crabinski

Re: 4th crab under: how long can they hide without food?

Post by Crabinski » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Tiffany wrote: How long can they hide under without eating if they aren't molting?
They may be coming up at night for a few bites and a drink. It's very hard to tell as crabs eat so little. Try smoothing out the substrate every night before you turn in and check it in the morning: you may see marks in the sand indicating that someone has been walking around. Some crabs are really good at leaving minimal traces as to where they came up while others create piles of substrate :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster