Tall or long tank?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Dom :)

Tall or long tank?

Post by Dom :) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:01 pm

I saw some people who had the tall hexagon/just plain tall tanks. They look interesting.

I want to get a new tank for the tank at my mom's house when I have more money, right now it's just a 10 gallon. I either want to get a 20 gal or a tall tank- not sure what sizes they come in. What do you all think?

Do you think the crabs will prefer having room to crawl up more or walk down more?
Just the basic 10 gallon set up with 2 crabs, plus a 55 gallon at my dad's.

isadoraisacat

Re: Tall or long tank?

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:21 pm

More horizontal space. For walking. you can always set up a topper for more vertical space.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:35 am

That depends on how many crabs you plan on housing. It's basically a trade of between molting space and climbing space. That being said, your molting space decides your tank capacity. :)

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

A good compromise in the not-too-large tank range is the 29g. It has the same footprint as a 20L (30x12) but is 6" taller (18 vs 12). With a substrate depth of 8", there's still quite a lot of room for second levels and lots of climbing features.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:52 pm

I'd rather keep fewer crabs, knowing that they have lots of above ground climbing options - but its always a trade-off, unless you get a custom tank!
So I'd say I lean towards taller, though probably not hex-tank ratios of sub-to-hight. :)

Oh, and this is my fave standard tank sizing page:

http://www.aquariumdimensions.com/
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(