More crabs?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Lothlorien

More crabs?

Post by Lothlorien » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi! We have a 50 gallon crabitat and five ruggies :) They are adorable! Now four of them is under ground, and I'm thinking, won't the singel one up be lonely?

We have been thinking about getting more crabs from the beginning, but how many can we have in 50 gallon tank? Also, we're considering the brevimanus. I've read that they don't like to get wet, and like to climb. Is there anything else we should know about them?

So questions are, is the tank big enough to house more crabs? Should we stick to ruggies, or could we spice it up with other species?

Edit: I should mention that hermits are not sold in pet stores, so we order from Sweden (from where the pet stores get there fish and stuff, at Imazo) and the hermits they have are ruggies, strawberries, brevimanus and violas.

daws409

Re: More crabs?

Post by daws409 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm

The single crab won't be lonely for long. Maybe 4-6 months at most. That may seem like a long time but it goes by so quickly. Remember, he knows where his buddies are. Adding more crabs to your tank when they are all down can quickly lead to overcrowding. Overcrowing can lead to cannibalism (death).

If you follow the 5 gal per crab rule, you have room for 5 more crabs. Max would be 10 crabs in a 50 gal.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Edit: Your crabs could be up sooner. Depends if they are de-stressing or actually molting.
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:51 pm

Also, you want to consider that as the crabs grow, they'll want more room... so if you add a bunch, you may end up needing to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I personally think five in a fifty gallon is a good number. But if you get another species make sure to get more than one.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 am

I've heard from other people who actually have brevinamus (Indos) that they actually don't dislike the water, and have similar care needs to to other hermits. Be warned that they are the largest of all hermit species!
Your hermie knows where his friends are though- mine are always fine.To be honest, I'm a firm believer in under-stocking a tank. Especially in the beginning, as it gives more wiggle room, and less chance for mishaps/ emergencies such as crabs disturbing each other during molts, etc. But that's just me. As others have said if you do decide to get more just make sure you have a species buddy.

Topic author
Lothlorien

Post by Lothlorien » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:49 am

I can always count on good answers here! Image Thank you! They might end up in a bigger tank in time, when we decide if we want to move or not :) Anyhow, thanks! I've read that the indos get bigger then the others, and that's one my biggest hesitation, thinking of space. They seem cool tho, active Image Now our most active hermie has gone under, it so empty! Can't wait for them to come up Image

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 am

Yes! That is the hardest part! Waiting. haha. Mine are good at the disapearing act too. It can be hard to wait, but at least you know they are doing what they need to do to stay healthy. :)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 am

Awwww.... pet sand is no fun. :(
Hopefully they'll be back up soon. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Now you have a glorified sandbox... ;) (Rawrgeous came up with that quote!)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com