Newbie Questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
deoteo

Newbie Questions

Post by deoteo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm fairly new to the crabber community and I'm preparing for my hermies. Since I wanna make it perfect I just have a few questions. 1. What kind of moss should be used in their moss pit? and 2. Is there any difference between aquarium salt and marine salt? I'm planning on getting this for the salt water: Image tips are appreciated

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :)

Aquarium salt is very different from marine salt water. It lacks the trace elements hermit crabs need. Aquarium salt is basically salt to help prevent fish diseases for freshwater fish. You actually need marine salt water to create a saltwater fish tank. A product that is commonly used is called instant ocean. Instant ocean mimics sea water. :)

As far as moss, any moss from the pet store is safe. I prefer spaghnum moss. I purchase my moss at home depot. As long as it is organic, it is fine. (Hermit crabs are sensitive to fertilizers and pesticides). Just do not use crafting moss - from the craft stores.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermie225

Newbie Questions

Post by Hermie225 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm

You will want a marine salt mix not an aquarium salt, as aquarium salt doesn't contain all the beneficial minerals found in marine salt water. Instant Ocean is what a lot of us use.

Care: Water - Fresh, Salt, & Why to Use a Dechlorinator

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Topic author
deoteo

Post by deoteo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:33 pm

thanks for clarifying GotButterflies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Yw :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com