Florida Vacation

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Princess R.

Florida Vacation

Post by Princess R. » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:57 pm

I'm going to Florida for a week and I was wondering what I could do to take care of my crabs. As far as I know, no one in my neighborhood knows anything about caring for hermit crabs and I need to find a way to keep them happy while I'm gone. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

purplepincher

Re: Florida Vacation

Post by purplepincher » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:24 pm

make sure you have a freind come over to take care of them. if you have none, make sure to put 2 food bowls of dry food that wont rot for a week, 2 bowls of fresh water and 2 of salt, all filled to the brim, make sure they cant knock the bowls over. then make sure the humidity is contained and that it wont drop, but dont leave any humidity things running. i suggest keeping the lights on full time and the tank light off. it will provide some light, but not enough where they will think it is day 24/7. plus, the lights will make burgalers think someone is home. then if you can, make sure the crabs cant fight somehow, and good luck! :)
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:25 pm

also, make sure to have sponges in all 4 dishes, plus at least 20 gallon tank.
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:25 pm

and dont forget to have apropriat sized shells!

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks, purplepincher. I hope that your advice works. But why do I need sponges in the water dishes? I didn't think that was good for them.

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Sponges aren't recommended, according to all the care sheets. They tend to breed bacteria, especially since you won't be able to check on the sponges when you're gone.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm

I have left my crabs for a week and had no problems. Like PP said, dry food will last longer than fresh. I leave them a nice selection, knowing that at least some of it will be moldy by the time I return. I only leave one dish of each salt and fresh because that's all I own LOL. I don't recommend sponges. I don't use tank lights (ever), or leave a room light on when I am gone; the room my crabs are in does have a window so they get the natural daylight cycle.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks, Curlysister. I feel a lot more comfortable in leaving my crabs for a while now. The only thing is that when ever I delay in changing the water, my hermit crabs will start burrowing under the water dishes. I'd rather not have that happen. Also they will kick a bunch of dirt in the water dishes so it soaks all the water up. What if that happens 30 minutes after I leave?

-Ruth A. J. G.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:18 pm

Deep water dishes help reduce both scenarios from happening... or consider placing the dishes on a small rack slightly elevated to reduce the chance of the water being flipped over?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Wow, what a coincidence, I am going to Florida soon as well! ;)

I went on vacation last summer and left my crabs at home, but I filled their pools all the way to the top and put a large bowl of dried foods that I made at home, and when I got back it was still in good condition with no mold growth at all. I recommend putting the lights on a timer if you have one, otherwise you can just leave them off for that time.

Enjoy the trip, stay safe!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:38 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Deep water dishes help reduce both scenarios from happening... or consider placing the dishes on a small rack slightly elevated to reduce the chance of the water being flipped over?

Thanks, aussieJJDude, but I have two minor problems- currently I do not have very deep water dishes, and even though they're deep enough for purple pinchers, they aren't very large- they are the small flukers stone water dishes. Also only have a ten gallon tank, and don't have room for anything bigger. Any ideas?

-Ruth A. J. G.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 pm

purplepincher wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:25 pm
also, make sure to have sponges in all 4 dishes, plus at least 20 gallon tank.
Sponges are no longer recommended in the crabbing world.

When going on vacation, leave lots of dry foods for your hermits. Leaves, bark, snake skin, seeds, oyster shell, sticks, eggshells, moss, dehydrated foods, bugs, cuttlebone, and fresh water with bubblers in them. Use tupperware bowls for their water bowls. You can use craft mesh for ramps in and out of the bowls.

:) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 am

Princess R. wrote:Thanks, aussieJJDude, but I have two minor problems- currently I do not have very deep water dishes, and even though they're deep enough for purple pinchers, they aren't very large- they are the small flukers stone water dishes. Also only have a ten gallon tank, and don't have room for anything bigger. Any ideas?

I may of missed this. Sorry!

A wire racking shelf could be used, it should be smaller enough that it can fit in a 10g. Or better yet, plastic, to reduce chances of rust developing.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Thou mean to go uhh bidder three dish? I wish I'd thought of that!

-Ruth A. J. G.

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Sorry - I meant, " you mean to put the rack under the dish? I wish I would have thought of that!"

-I'm just getting used to the swipe option on the Samsung keyboard!

-Ruth A. J. G.